Help please severe popeye and gash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ochana25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Eye everyone so my fire mouth has severe popeye and a gash I went to the aquarium store and they recommended this product I have attached a picture of it, I'm confused it says on direction use one level of measurement for every 5us gallons well I have 90 gallons does that mean I put the whole bottle in there

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413511525238.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413511525238.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 113
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413511580145.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413511580145.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 112
One eye is popping out is typically a sign of a Gram positive bacterial infection caused by stress poor water conditions. A medication that's contains Erythromycin is your best bet.

Can you get more pictures of his "gash" it looks more like head a lateral line errosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Everyone else seems perfect and I do water change every week and use stability ammonia remover and salt I'll try to get couple for you

Regardless it's still an infection and needs to be treated with something that contains Erythromycin.

Also there's no need for all those chemicals, they do more harm that good.

I understand so this medication have you used it before

A cheap and easy cure is Tetras Fungus Guard which was Jungles Fungus Clear. The lateral line is clearly appears to be starting to erode, so this will need to be addressed wether it's water conditions or dietary.

I have not, I'm not sure how well it will work since I've never used a kanamycin sulfate based medication. I normally just use some like API Erythomycin.

The Kanaplex is pretty straight forward though, it comes with a little scoop and you use one for every 5 gallons. So you'd use 18 scoops per dose.

Ok thanks guys will look into this further and give this medication a try thanks for fast replies appreciate it

A cheap and easy cure is Tetras Fungus Guard which was Jungles Fungus Clear. The lateral line is clearly appears to be starting to erode, so this will need to be addressed wether it's water conditions or dietary.

Do they even still make JFC? I couldn't find it last time, I ended up having to use API Fungus cure.

Do they even still make JFC? I couldn't find it last time, I ended up having to use API Fungus cure.

Tetra bought them. Parasite Clear and Fungus Clear were simply renamed Parasite/Fungus Guard. Both are still my go to medications for nearly everything from internal parasites to Columnaris.

I have used kanaplex before and still do and it seems to work well -- although I am using it on betta fish in much smaller tanks than 90 gallons. lol But I think it would help. As far as the popeye goes, I have actually had some luck with extremely clean water and just stress coat and OCCASIONALLY some epsom salt. I hope this helps!

Tetra bought them. Parasite Clear and Fungus Clear were simply renamed Parasite/Fungus Guard. Both are still my go to medications for nearly everything from internal parasites to Columnaris.

Got ya, I'll have to stock up. How rough are they on the bio in the tanks?

Got ya, I'll have to stock up. How rough are they on the bio in the tanks?

I have never seen any adverse effects regarding the biological filter with either product. Parasite Guard is part of my QT process with all new fish introduced into the fish room.

Update.. I had to make a decision to pull my fish out and end his suffering was very hard for me to make that decision because I have been close to these guys for years, anyways the medication didn't help and his gouge in his head got worse and both his eyes went popeye I don't think he was able to see at all because he was swimming as fast as possible and running into everything then constantly trying. To jump out of the water. I can't really explain but it was bad and I knew he was suffering badly so I pulled him out couldn't risk any harm to the other guys. Now my question is beside a 50 percent water change is there anything else necessary to ensure the safety of my other fish..

Sorry for your loss dude. You made the right decision though.

One day at a time

Thanks was very hard because I have been close to these guys for years and they eat from my hand and I'm allowed to pet them sucked

Back
Top Bottom