Help : Severe Popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingShadow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I am currently struggling to situate a cichlid of mine who seems to have developed a severe case of Popeye in his right eye, left is completely normal. I was told because it was in one eye it was most likely not a disease and give it 2 weeks.

Well I’ll be honest, I jumped the gun and started medicating him after the first week as his situation got much worse. His right eye looks the size of a marble, enormous, so I began treating with microbe lift artemiss as it was recommended to me for this situation. This cleared up his eye a bit but did nothing for the swelling?

Water parameters all check out, the filter I have is more than enough for the tank, I have an air stone for oxygen, temp. is 78°, feeding consists of a well rounded varying diet. I have to avoid salting the tank as 2 of his tank mates are 3” tiger eels.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks!

*** I am unable to upload any pictures of his condition, every time I try the website just gets stuck infinitely loading.***

Last edited:
Have you tried epsom salt?

Should help reduce the swelling. Dose at 1tbls/5 gallons.

Can dose twice.

If this does not help after a day or 2 can
try myicin 2. Heavily aerate the water for this antibiotic, no more than 7 days treatment max before running carbon to remove.

Back
Top Bottom