Help Sex My Cobalt Blue Mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok first off can you confirm my species?...I was unaware that there are TWO species of Cobalt Blues... I believe i have Maylandia callainos
... RIGHT???

yes i know that the only way to be 100% sure is to vent them...i thought i would give this a shot...

ok the big ones i have had for a couple of months now..Got them at Petsmart...they were cheap...for some reason Petsmart was clearanceing out Cobalts in Minnesota 8O anyways... Petsmart person helped me "sex" them

my Big "male"
img_740189_0_2396b62045005129623b36404ebcac2d.jpg

"Male" on Left and "female" on right
img_740189_1_87eab921f21395b9d04ef84e7371aea8.jpg

"Female" on Left and "male" on right
img_740189_2_6d17b0d7ca326461956afb9cb3b3e545.jpg

and then i got a small "female" at Petco about a week ago...there "Cichlid Expert" scoped her for me and promised me it is a girl... :roll: Thoughts?
"She" is the one on the left and the "Male" is on the right
img_740189_3_58ed99cf4188fb944b7b1f16021da7ed.jpg

TIA

Yes, you have the Calls specie.

Honestly, I can't help sex Cobalts. They are so difficult to determine. We found out we had two females when they were holding eggs. :)

Fishyfanatic said:
Yes, you have the Calls specie.

Honestly, I can't help sex Cobalts. They are so difficult to determine. We found out we had two females when they were holding eggs. :)
thanks for atl east confirming the species :D

The best way to sex them is by venting. Of course that requires you to catch them first. Have fun doing that...

BTW, I love the syno cat. What species is it? I have 2 that look exactly like it and I'm under the impression that they are Synodontis eupterus.

maxwell1295 said:
The best way to sex them is by venting. Of course that requires you to catch them first. Have fun doing that...

BTW, I love the syno cat. What species is it? I have 2 that look exactly like it and I'm under the impression that they are Synodontis eupterus.
i believe the one i have is Synodontis eupterus :D that is what the LFS had them labeled as...and that is what my research seams to have confirmed...

That's good to know. For a while there, i thought I may have bought some hybrids. The shop I bought them from had them labeled as "Upside Down Catfish". I think I paid $4.99ea for them.

Back
Top Bottom