Help starting my 55 gallon Mbuna Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luke78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,

My 55 is just about finished cycling and I want to do a Mbuna tank. I want to do Labidochromis and Demasoni, all juvies. What other Mbuna species would play well with these guys and what would be a good number from each to start with. I want to have a much color as possible. I have been keeping fish for a while but I am new to cichlids so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Luke78 said:
Hey Guys,

My 55 is just about finished cycling and I want to do a Mbuna tank. I want to do Labidochromis and Demasoni, all juvies. What other Mbuna species would play well with these guys and what would be a good number from each to start with. I want to have a much color as possible. I have been keeping fish for a while but I am new to cichlids so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Well first of all Labidochromis is like a group of fish not just one. So I kinda need to know witch one you was looking at getting. Demasoni are an aggressive classed fish so whatever we decide on needs to come from that group.

And this is a list of all listed aggressive mbunas.

cientific Names: Common Names: Cynotilapia sp. "hara" White Top Hara Gephyrochromis sp. "sand" (Undu Reef) Gephyrochromis sp. "sand blackfin" Pseudotropheus sp. "Sand Blackfin" Labeotropheus fuelleborni Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Chidunga) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Hora Mhango) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Katale OB) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Katale) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Likoma) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Maisoni Reef) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Makanjila) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Mbenji) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Minos Reef) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (Nakantenga) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (O) Labeotropheus fuelleborni (OB) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Chadagha) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Chilumba) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Domwe Is.) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Likoma) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Maleri) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Manda) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Mpanga) Mpanga Red Labeotropheus trewavasae (Ntekete) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Pombo Rocks) Labeotropheus trewavasae (West Thumbi Is.) Labeotropheus trewavasae (Zimbawe) Melanochromis chipokae Malawi Pike Cichlid Melanochromis vermivorus Purple Mbuna Metriaclima sp. "aggressive bars" Pseudotropheus sp. "Aggressive Bars" Metriaclima barlowi Golden fuscoides Metriaclima sp. "elongatus chewere" Metriaclima sp. "lanisticola north" Metriaclima livingstonii Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Msobo Magunga, "Deep" Magunga Metriaclima pulpican Pseudotropheus sp. 'kingsizei' Metriaclima pyrsonotos Red Top Zebra Metriaclima zebra Pseudotropheus zebra Metriaclima zebra (Chilucha) Metriaclima zebra (Liuli) Metriaclima zebra (Lundu) Metriaclima zebra (Ndumbi) Metriaclima zebra (OB Masinje) Metriaclima zebra (OB) OB Clown Metriaclima zebra (Otter Pt.) Metriaclima zebra (Thumbi) Metriaclima sp. "zebra long pelvic" Pseudotropheus sp. "Zebra Long Pelvic" Metriaclima sp. "zebra ruarwe" Petrotilapia genalutea Petrotilapia microgalana Petrotilapia sp. 'small blue' Petrotilapia sp. "mumbo yellow" Petrotilapia nigra Petrotilapia sp. "nigra tanzania" Petrotilapia sp. "nigra tumbi" Petrotilapia sp. "orange pelvic" Petrotilapia sp. "yellow ventral" Pseudotropheus sp. "Aggressive Grey Head" Pseudotropheus sp. "Aggressive Yellow Fin" Pseudotropheus ater P. "elongatus black" Pseudotropheus crabro Bumble Bee, Hornet Pseudotropheus sp. "Crabro Blue" Pseudotropheus cyaneus Pseudotropheus demasoni (Mozambique) Midnight Demasoni Pseudotropheus demasoni (Pombo Rocks) Pseudotropheus sp. "Elongatus Ornatus" Pseudotropheus Ornatus Pseudotropheus flavus Dinghani Pseudotropheus interruptus Melanochromis elastodema Pseudotropheus johannii Formerly Melanochromis Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Orange Cap" Red Top Ndumbi Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Tanzania" Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Tanzania" (Liuli) Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Tanzania" (Puulu) Pseudotropheus sp. "Perspicax Yellow Breast" Pseudotropheus polit Pseudotropheus purpuratus Pseudotropheus saulosi Pseudotropheus sp. "Tursiops Mbenji" Pseudotropheus williamsi (Chizimulu) Tropheops sp. "Black Dorsal" ( Tropheops sp. "Broad Mouth" (Minos) Tropheops sp. "Chilumba Type" Tropheops sp. "Chitimba" Tropheops sp. "Gome Yellow" Tropheops gracilior (Otter Pt.) Tropheops sp. "Higga" (Ngkuyo) Tropheops sp. "Lumessi Blue" Tropheops macrophthalmus (Albino) Tropheops macrophthalmus (Kirondo) Golden Yellow Tropheops Tropheops sp. "Macrophthalmus Chitimba" Tropheops sp. "Maleri Blue" Tropheops sp. "Maleri Yellow" Tropheops sp. "Mauve" (Ndumbi Pt.) Tropheops sp. "Mauve Yellow" Tropheops novemfasciatus (Kadango) Tropheops sp. "Red Cheek" (Likoma) Macrophthalmus Red Cheek, ''Big Eye'' Tropheops sp. "Yellow Chin" Tropheops sp. "Yellow Gular" (Gome)

Well that turned out kinda hard to read on the mobile app. Are you ordering online or getting from an lfs? If your plan is to get from an lfs then you need to see what all you can get from them. And let me/us know

Labidochromis caeruleus......if the Demasoni is too aggressive then something that is similar..just looking for a variety of colors.

Luke78 said:
Labidochromis caeruleus......if the Demasoni is too aggressive then something that is similar..just looking for a variety of colors.

That is a peaceful to mild aggressive fish. I do not have ether one of them so I'm not to sure and you may not find someone that has kept those fish together. A lot of what we do is try it and see what happens if it is to aggressive for it you'll have to re home it. Everything is different in every tank and sometime things won't work in one tank but will in another so its up to you if you try it or not. I'll pm you

Andrew McFadden said:
That is a peaceful to mild aggressive fish. I do not have ether one of them so I'm not to sure and you may not find someone that has kept those fish together. A lot of what we do is try it and see what happens if it is to aggressive for it you'll have to re home it. Everything is different in every tank and sometime things won't work in one tank but will in another so its up to you if you try it or not. I'll pm you

That pretty much sums it up! If you don't try you won't know, just be prepared of you have to re home a few. I had to re home a few back in the beginning the bumble bee an auratus proved to be too much for my tank but others love them and keep them with no issues. I have a mixed bag, I have peacocks with Mbuna's and I have a few Moorii's also. I also have a variety of loaches and a red tailed shark. The ones that started together live together. If I add anything new it's almost fatal for the new guy. I just added a new fish but did so because I had one before but he passed and I took the advice of my buddy at the LFS, I introduced the new guy in the dark and then covered the tank with towels so no room light would get in. I did this for 24 hours. So far so good with the new guy. Sorry for the ramble.

Bottom line and AM knows how I feel. If you don't try things and experiment I feel the hobby wouldn't grow and progress. New ideas, new stock, things that shouldn't work-working etc etc make for an awesome hobby!!

Good luck!!

Thanks for the advice. I think your right with experimentation....what fun would it be if there were a set formula for doing things.

Luke78 said:

If its color you're looking for, I just put a few afras in my mbuna tank. And they made it pop. They are so colorful with loads of personality. Just group them and keep with equally aggressive mbuna.

If its color you're looking for, I just put a few afras in my mbuna tank and they made it pop.Theyre so colorful with loads of personality. Just group them and keep with equally aggressive mbuna.

christine2012 said:
If its color you're looking for, I just put a few afras in my mbuna tank. And they made it pop. They are so colorful with loads of personality. Just group them and keep with equally aggressive mbuna.

True...

christine2012 said:
If its color you're looking for, I just put a few afras in my mbuna tank and we are digging them. Theyre so colorful with loads of personality. Just group them and keep with equally aggressive mbuna.

LoL yea... I just heard the same thing ;)

christine2012 said:
If its color you're looking for, I just put a few afras in my mbuna tank and they made it pop.Theyre so colorful with loads of personality. Just group them and keep with equally aggressive mbuna.

Now that I do have and is what my pic is of. Not to sure id try that mine are very peaceful

Luke78 said:

I think you should x out the demasoni more to pick from in the mild class. And by the way don't add a turtle with aggressive ones cause I'm going to need to re home mine. Just FYI

From what I hear demasoni are very aggressive fish. They are tempting to get because they're soo colorful, but I suggest you stay away from them. There are lots of cichlids with just as much color and will be more compatible with others. Good luck and keep us posted!

Looked at some mbuna at my LFS and you guys are right, there are plenty to choose from that will make a great looking tank.....if this thing will finish the cycle I could get started.:whistle:

I did have another question. I keep reading about stocking with 1 male to 3 female ratio, but if you stock with juvies isn't almost impossible to tell at such a small age?

I did have another question. I keep reading about stocking with 1 male to 3 female ratio, but if you stock with juvies isn't almost impossible to tell at such a small age?

It can be difficult, but generally males are going to be more colorful than females. Also do some research on specific types, as some males will have an entirely different color than their females. Some people suggest stocking 1 male to 3-4 females to reduce aggression. I feel that this can be useful, however I would rather have fish that have different appearances than four-five of the same kind! I'm sure others will chime in on their experiences with this.

Thanks for the help. I'm with you, I think having a nice mix of variety and color is most important

Back
Top Bottom