help stock new Mbuna tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quest84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone, I have been cycling my 72 gal bowfront and decided on doing a african cichlid tank. I am an experienced fish keeper but this will be my first african tank. I like peacocks, and mbuna's but one of my buddies said it would be best not to mix them because the mbuna will stress the peacocks out. I was also told to keep the ratio 1 or 2 males to 3 females

ok so as far as stocking this tank I'm not sure which fish will go well together or how many I can add to a 72 gallon bowfront. I have plenty of filtration and lighting etc..I will be adding rock work to the tank within a few days hopefully. here are a few fish that I like.

yellow tail acei
yellow labs
demasoni
bumble bee's
red tops
Rusty's
maison reef
hongi

open to any and all suggestions..:thanks:

hey everyone, I have been cycling my 72 gal bowfront and decided on doing a african cichlid tank. I am an experienced fish keeper but this will be my first african tank. I like peacocks, and mbuna's but one of my buddies said it would be best not to mix them because the mbuna will stress the peacocks out. I was also told to keep the ratio 1 or 2 males to 3 females

ok so as far as stocking this tank I'm not sure which fish will go well together or how many I can add to a 72 gallon bowfront. I have plenty of filtration and lighting etc..I will be adding rock work to the tank within a few days hopefully. here are a few fish that I like.

yellow tail acei
yellow labs
demasoni
bumble bee's
red tops
Rusty's
maison reef
hongi

We have labs, demasoni, yellow tails, white top afras, and afra cobue in our tank. We were told to watch the Demasoni because they can be more aggressive, despite their smaller size, but so far we have had no problems.

awesome, I love how the demasoni's look..one of my favs
and I just googled afra cobue..they are stunning wow. I might have to add them to my list LOL

Quest84 said:

yellow tail acei
yellow labs
demasoni
bumble bee's
red tops
Rusty's
maison reef
hongi

I have yellow labs with pseudotropheus socolofi that get along fine. Acei and rusties are a good match too. I'd be careful with bumble bees.

I've had really good luck with the Acei cichlid. I recommend the Acei and Yellow Labs. The purple of the Acei and yellow of the Labs complement each other well and both have less aggression when compared to other Mbunas.

thanks guys and gals..appreciate all the info keep it coming!! LOL
I'm gonna need help putting together a full stock to fill up a 72 gallon tank

I would stay away from the Bumblebee. The Bumblebee is by far the most aggressive cichlid I've ever had. Terrorized my tank (and no longer calls my tanks its home).
The most important tip to keep in mind is to buy juveniles and put them in all at the same time. They grow up together and you have a better chance of them all getting along as adults.
I'm not familiar with the other species in your list, beside the Acei and Yellow Lab. I've got Acei, Kenyi, and Auratus cichlids. I put Kenyi and Auratus cichlids in at the same time (but about 3 months after my Acei) and the Acei is top dog. Kenyi and Auratus have a reputation for being highly aggressive, but I've had no behavior problems out of them.

All fish are different. Don't completely give up on a fish because someone says one thing-- my bumblebee is almost 2 yrs old now and is probably the most peaceful mbuna in my 55.

smithpants94 said:
All fish are different. Don't completely give up on a fish because someone says one thing-- my bumblebee is almost 2 yrs old now and is probably the most peaceful mbuna in my 55.

While yours may be "peaceful" the fact remains that Pseudotropheus crabro is really to large for an aquarium that size. If it were me I would only stock Mbuna that are 3-4" in length.

The bees get to big for that tank size. Here is a link if you scroll down to Malawi it will show you stocking
Cookie Cutter - 55-gallons

thanks andrew..but it says thats for a 55 gallon tank, I have a 72
or would you stock both tanks the same way?

also i was reading on that link that you gave me it says Do not mix any Labidochromis species, why is that?

I'm not sure but it's probably because of the foot print. How long and wide is the tank? It will also give you a little room to grow.

Not mixing Labs is most likely due to cross breeding. Unless you have lots of room for fry and when they become adults.

I would try to keep it to fish 5" and under. And if you want demasoni you should stock heavy. They are very aggressive towards there own species and other blue and black stripped fish. I think the ratio is 1m to 6 or 7f.

Quest84 said:
thanks andrew..but it says thats for a 55 gallon tank, I have a 72
or would you stock both tanks the same way?

also i was reading on that link that you gave me it says Do not mix any Labidochromis species, why is that?

They won't get along believe me I tryed it in my 180 gallon. And yes its because of the footprint

Back
Top Bottom