Help! Tired of the aqua scape for cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's pool filter sand. They do but maybe not in winter depending where u live. Pool stores have it if they're open.

As far as barber tank goes maybe some slate caves like that with sand and drift wood and fake plants would make a great redo for you?!

It's pool filter sand. They do but maybe not in winter depending where u live. Pool stores have it if they're open.

As far as barber tank goes maybe some slate caves like that with sand and drift wood and fake plants would make a great redo for you?!

I'll bet the sands not out yet but that's ideal with a few plants. That's what I am looking for! :) thanks for your help. Truly appreciate it.

Now question I've never used sand. How do u put in tank and decorate ? Doesn't it get all cloudy and stuff?

You have to put a lil at a time in bucket and put hose in it or under tub faucet with water running and swirl it w your hand while waters rushing in and when bucket fills dump the cloudy water off. Do this film the runoff is clear.

Prior to doing that drain your water to half and scoop out gravel w a new not used strainer or Tupperware. U can leave fish in or move out to temporary bucket. I have done both w no different effect.

Add sand in to part filled tank and then add new water back in. If you drain it really low put dinner plate on top of sand and when u add water pour it onto plate do it minimizes stirring sand up. Make sense?

And it's my pleasure to help. That's what we are all here for to learn and share. I still have so much to learn but glad to share what I know!

Looks like you've had a lot of help! Great! I can't wait to see your tank when uve changed/added decor.

Just wanted to say, I saw above ur rehoming ur Pleco. If u do get a Pleco that stays smaller they require driftwood, so there's a link on here explaining good woods to use, and how to get them tank ready.

Good luck!

My husband wants to know if the white pool sand is silica sand? Planning on setting up a new tank soon & I really like the white sand.
Are there any stones I can get at Home Depot to use?
Very nice tank!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390097224.690349.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390097242.415530.jpg

Got some progress going already!!

I got my white sand from krevco it's called pool filter sand it says silica on it!! Stones call this guy pm me for more info If ur in Winnipeg !!

They're different sands. I hear silica is finer which is bad as its harder to rinse before putting in and it can get into filter impellers easier and do damage.
As far as rocks.... I'm not sure my depot only mostly ever had paving stones. Better off going to landscape yard or nursery.

Sand hasn't settles yet and still waiting for new plants and a filter. I'm so excited this turned out perfect and cheap!! Can't wait till completion

In the morning it should be clear! That's what the tank I redid looked like when I left for night and u saw pic next day - it was glasslike!

A little work and effort and you can usually keep it cheap! I took all rocks out to ought so I could add 5 new fish and although I don't like how I restocked them I n is I am tryin g to keep a nice clean tank with fishes best interest in mind while also having an attractive thing I am proud of!

A little work for sure!!! I think lll have to take out some of the rocks to add a few fish. The guy I got my rocks from has many and sells these absolutely stunning cichlids and I'd love some! So gonna attempt to make room keep it clean and natural but also get a few fish! :)

Uhm wow those are beautiful. Ok I'm switching to sand if I can find it around me. I have a snow cichlid two parrots and blue zebra and two purple things not sure of species!!! :/ I'm thinking sand, rock, fake plants that look real like yours and some wood too. That should help I want it to look natural

You don't want to put wood in with african cichlids, except for woods that don't leach acids and tanins like dried Manaznita branches. Or, if it is mopani or malaysian wood, it'll be ok if it's been in aquariums for a year or two. Wood stops leeching after a while. If the wood is fresh they will lower your pH slightly. No good for Mbuna.

I believe they're Malaysian and have been used a few years he got bigger ones and sold the ones I have now. They seem to like it

Africans look really nice with Texas holey rock and it's helps keep the ph higher ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390100855.398121.jpg

That's my set up the rock is usually white but it has some alge growing on it right now. And a black painted background is nice too. Makes the colors of the fish pop

Africans look really nice with Texas holey rock and it's helps keep the ph higher View attachment 217421

That's my set up the rock is usually white but it has some alge growing on it right now. And a black painted background is nice too. Makes the colors of the fish pop

That's stunning wow I love the hokey rock. And you're right about the back ground it really does

Your tank is looking great so far!

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom