HELP! Whats wrong with my Jack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Two nights ago after the lights in my tank went off, I fell asleep on the couch. I was startled awake when I heard something in my tank make a loud splash and then slam against the side of the tank. Couldn't figure out what happened.

Last night the same thing happened. That time I turned the light on to see my Jack Dempsey swimming around the tank at very fast speeds slamming himself into the glass three different times.

He ended up lying on the bottom on his side trying to bury himself in the gravel. I reached in and uprighted him. He seemed fine from then on but stayed in that same spot all night and throughout the day.

About ten minutes ago while I was watching TV, I heard another slam against the glass and saw Jack once again swimming at very high speeds, but also noticed that it was very chaotic. He was even swimming upside down, almost uncontrollably. He slammed into the glass several times, and then came to a stop hovering in the middle of the tank sideways.

He is now all scarred up and lying on the bottom. He appears fine otherwise, still upright yet he does appear to be moving his fins and breathing very labored.

My kids actually asked if its possible for fish to have rabies. I must admit that when you see it, it appears something psychotic.

I don't see any external signs of disease though. I have tried searching online for symptoms but find nothing. I have had him for three years. When I got him he was about 2.5 inches long and is now 8-9 inches. He has always appeared incredibly healthy. This pic is from a couple of months ago.

Attachments

• image-3806687666.jpg
    image-3806687666.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 138
What a beautiful Jack!!! WOW!

I have seen similar behavior from Oscars (was many years ago) when I found that a heater had a tiny leak and was leaking current into the water.

Had it happen again a couple of years later, but that time it was a powerhead that apparently was leaking current.

Not saying this is your problem -but might be worth checking.

Mumma's questions all need to be answered. Very important.

Could this be some kind of swim bladder issue?

Not sure what the water quality is. Haven't tested that. I have never had any abnormal reading though in the 9 months the tank has been set up.

As far as as tank size, it's a 54 gallon corner tank. In it are 2 ventustus, 3 livingstonii, 1 aurustes, 1 pleco, 1 fuellborni , 1 flameback Hap, and them the jack.

I regularly do 30% water changes every week. The last one was last Monday.

I really have my doubts about it being a bladder issue. For the most part after I calm him down, he swims just fine.

I do have both a heater and a power head in the tank. I would think thought, if these were the issue, other fish would also be affected.

Here are a few pics I just took. You can see the scarring al around his mouth and head.

Attachments

• image-1403809839.jpg
    image-1403809839.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 120
  • image-700606247.jpg
    image-700606247.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1239029964.jpg
    image-1239029964.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1154993795.jpg
    image-1154993795.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 113
Is something startling him? Is he flashing? Do you think he is seeing something (like a bug) on the top of the glass and is trying to eat it?
You need to check your params. Bad water conditions can cause fish to jump from tanks.

My JD's do that when they get startled by someone or something, but I've never seen them hurt themselves that bad. Is there any aggression among the fish in the tank? When I was researching african cichlids I read that livingstonii can be tank terrors as they get older (they also get pretty large requiring a very big tank) but have never kept them personally so can't say for sure.

That actually reminds me, I also have two red zebras in there. They are the most aggressive of all the fish in the tank. At this point the only aggression shown by the livingstonii are towards the ventustus. The red zebras go after everyone. However, all of them are about half the size of the jack. My largest livingstonii at this point is maybe 5-6". All the other fish are 4-5", while Jack is 8-9". None of them have ever shown any aggression towards him that I have seen.

It could definitely be aggression.

Also, what are the tank diameters? Does he have enough room to swim? You said it's a corner tank, usually those are taller rather than long. Footprint is more important than tank volume with cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom