HELP! White scum and cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyNovice

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok guys my 45 gallon cichlid tank, which is always beautiful and crystal clear is not looking so beautiful at the moment. It looked great this morning, I did my usual Wednesday water change and tonight when I went in to feed everyone I found my tank to be covered in a white 'mouldy' type scum. I have never had this in my tank before. Also, one of my juvie lemon jakes has turned whitish as well! He isn't dark like his brother anymore. I am scared for my babies!

Water parameters were:
pH - 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408585463.604654.jpg

My usual Wednesday water change routine is:
Change 25% of water
Add stress zyme, stress coat & aquarium salt.

Please help!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408585593.410914.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408585605.659791.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408585620.072816.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Possibly a bacteria bloom in the water.

Does the white stuff seem almost powdery only wet? I have had this before on my DW and glass. It finally disappeared after 6 weeks. Everything was crystal clear one day. I don't actually know the "name" for it. I can't tell very well from your pics.

Yes I guess it's powerdy.... I swiped it with my finger and it didn't seem slimey. It was hard to get a pic of it.... Did your fish survive?

Had the same happened to me, I would notice it more after water changes using API dechlorinator.
A white powder stuck on everything, I'm clueless

Never remember loosing any fish from it. I might add an extra airstone to see if additional O2 would help. Mine was over 2 years ago. I remember it get all over most noticibly the DW and glas. I would wip it off and seemed to come back on really fast.

I currently have 3 air stones running... I could add an extra but lots of Movement in the water now.

Nah, sounds like you have plenty of movement.

Possibly a UV sterilizer treatment period. I haven't used this method for this before, just a thought. Wouldn't advocate using one 100% of the time. It kills everything IN the water that passes through it. IMO, for the tanks I keep I feel it would, longterm be negative for the critters which feed on microscopic stuff. Just a side note opinion about the UV sterilizers.

Well for one thing, your nitrates should not be 0, they should be 5-20, maybe 40. But with your numbers it sounds like you just threw a filter and fish in the tank without any kind if proper cycle

This tank has been up and running for 9 months, it's not new. And was running for 2 months before any fish were added. So no, fish and filter were not just 'thrown in'

I did a massive search on the white powder mystery since I had it for a while as well and no one seems to have a clue. There are some hints of a reaction from the water with certain water conditioners and I can attest to that since it would show up after water changes using a dechlorinator and stopped after I switched to prime.
Whether coincidence or not, I have not seem the powder stuff since.
I hope this helps and let us know how you make out.

Thanks gilpi, I appreciate your help. I couldn't find anything on it either. And most people I he talked to that have had it have said the same thing as you, it just appeared then went away kind of on it own. Odd.

Then it was either a filter problem, water problem, or nitrite problem.
All of those are common in water changes larger than 50%.

Then it was either a filter problem, water problem, or nitrite problem.
All of those are common in water changes larger than 50%.

Sorry but this is inaccurate Think of one of the most sensitive fish Discus Their tanks usually get 50 to 80% water changes several times a week.
All my tanks get at min 50 to 70% weekly and I have never had this or any other problem.

Back
Top Bottom