help with a substrate for africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
i will be setting up a 55 gallon cichlid tank in the next week or so and i'm still stuck on a substrate.

i have been trying to find this blasting sand that looks like the caribsea peace river gravel (1-2mm). i can't find it anymore. used to be sold as medium blasting sand or texas red gravel for 8 buck/100lbs. this was a number of years ago.

the only sandblasting supplier i could find had the black beauty and for whatever reason i bought it and then i've decided against it. i even found a little diamond in the bag when took some out to sample it.

since i do have enough money i think i want to just get actual aquarium substrate.

i'm trying to encourage as much natural behavior as possible with digging and maybe spawning behavior. if i got the peace river would it discourage any of this behavior or should i look for a finer sand type bottom.

i also like the caribsea sunset gold which is much finer. but i don't know how this will work with a canister filter

I converted over to sand a little over a month ago. I put in Caribsea golden sunset that I bought from petco website. I have two canister filters and there are no problems. Here is a pic of my aquarium.

image-4086467850.jpg

If you go to tractor supply you can get blasting sand for less than $10/50# and it looks amazing. Your fishes colors will really pop you can even take some aragonite to mix in with it to aid in buffering. I have 2 cichlid tanks with different kinds of substrates if you get a digger they will dig in anything they can move. And about the canister I have them on both of my sanded tanks and as long as you don't go too too fine like oolite aragonite it will be fine

Last edited:
tractor supply is like 2 hours away from me and in my old jeep with gas, i could just drop the money on aquarium substrate.

i've seen pics of pfs but it looks too bright to me. i have to see some in person. i want to do something darker

nice tank cichlidism sand looks nice

i also forgot to mention i got about 30 lbs of holey rock of craigslist dirt chap. is that enough to buffer the water or am i going to want to mix in some argonite as well. i can't give you the actual hardness but i do definitely have fairly hard water out of the tap.

tractor supply is like 2 hours away from me and in my old jeep with gas, i could just drop the money on aquarium substrate.

i've seen pics of pfs but it looks too bright to me. i have to see some in person. i want to do something darker

nice tank cichlidism sand looks nice

If you want something darker play sand is what you want.

Back
Top Bottom