Help with brown algae in a cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OrlandoRealtor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been devoloping a sizeable amount of brown algae in tanganyika cichlid tank. The tank has only had the fish in it for about a month. I currently have 10 tanganyika cichlids ( all currently pretty small). My only concern is it appears to have started growing on the back wall and looks pretty unsightly. I have told that I shouldnt introduce plekos into the tank. Can it be cleaned with a clean rag on a stick? Can I put in a larger pleko since the cichlids are all young/small currently? The tank does have lots of rocks for hiding spots and I have not had any real aggression with the fish yet, although I have a starry night cichlid who has confined himsel to the corner (hes also the biggest on). Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Mike

It could be diatoms, the common in newly set up tanks. You should be able to brush them off, worst comes to worst you get a new toothbrush and scrub it off.

I called my lfs after I first noticed it covering all of my rocks. I told them it looked like rust and they said it was probably brown algae. Does diatroms look like rocks? I could easily clean the back wall but the rocks were stacked and setup pretty intricately, i guess i couldmtry and lightly scrub them as well.

Here is a picture of the mysterious brown stuff.

Attachments

• image-640052230.jpg
    image-640052230.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 216
Yes, just tried to clean a little of the rocks and it came off fairly easily.

Attachments

• image-3247066398.jpg
    image-3247066398.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 172
Most likely it's diatoms, they'll go away as you tank ages. I wouldn't get something to eat the algae

Thanks a lot for the help. While i have your attention. I mentioned that I have a starry night ciclhlid who has spent the last few days either in the bottom left corner behind some plants or the top right of the tank. When i first introduced my fish (about three weeks ago), he was very active and would swim all around the tank but over the last few days, he rarely moves even when its feeding time. Is he possibly threatened by some of the others? He is currently the biggest fish in the tank. Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Not a problem :) . Te only tanganyikans I hAve are shell Dwellers, however I do know they are territorial. What order did you introduce the fish? What size tank? And what fish?

That i will have to get back with you on. I had them all written down but have not been able to find my list. I know I have a pair of dafodills and also have the smaller version of what looks like a frontosa. One of them is black with spots on his front half and stripes on his back half. I have one (been an aggressor) which looks similar to the dafodils but has a reddish hue on his head. I will try and locate the list so I can them all. Sorry about the vauge details.

Tank is a 55gallon, i went with tanganyikas because i was told for the most part they dont get as big as some of the other african lake fish.

Did these diatoms ever go away?

My tank has been set up for a few months now and I've cleaned brown stuff off my glass once a week and it just keeps coming back maybe mine is actually algae?

It showed up after the third month, its also now moved to all my decorations as well.

I too had brown algae, In both tanks, the first was a 10 gallon with I threw some Amano (spelling?) shrimp in and it was clean in a day and a half. the larger tank I just kept up with water conditions and it went away on its own.

Back
Top Bottom