Help with Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AprilMartinez

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know if this is due to aggression? His fins are pretty frayed and he looks like he's got white slime on his body.

6 jewels
1 red top zebra (I think that's what this sick guy is)

120 gallon
pH is 6.0
Ammonia is 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate is 10 ppm

I've had problems with both of my tanks for months now. I introduced lobsters into the 120g and they killed off the original cichlids (around 40) due to disease and then they died themselves. I moved these guys into it a month later after we moved back home from a 60g tank, then they got sick. I cleaned out the tank, sand, decorations, and rocks before moving them into it. I treated with Kordon ick when they got sick and most of them died (20 from the 60g). I then treated with Maracyn one and two (around $400 for that). That cured them and the seven I have listed above are the last survivors. I've been struggling with pH levels ever since. I cleaned and replaced media, carbon, and added two UV lights to the tank since they were cured. I went out of town this weekend and found one dead fish. I have electric feeders for when I'm out of town, so i know it wasn't starvation. It didn't look like it had bloat, missing scales, ick, or any visible signs of illness or stress on it. I think my cats may have killed him. I've found dead fish in my sofa cushions before as well as cat prints on the glass, although I've never caught them doing it. Any ideas on what's wrong with him? The jewels are awesome looking and have no signs of frayed fins, missing scales, scratching on rocks or the sand. I'm ready to throw the towel in.

Attachments

• image-1595181356.jpg
    image-1595181356.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3446770181.jpg
    image-3446770181.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1308390759.jpg
    image-1308390759.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 99
  • image-597896782.jpg
    image-597896782.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 98
Mine seem pretty passive

They can be, but in general, they can be quite feisty.

In the end, mbuna don't fare well with jewels and vice versa typically. Jewels are west African, mbuna (I think that's an OB zebra but Africans are not my forte) are rift lake, or East African

I just can't seem to get the pH higher. Should I try crushed coral in the filter? How quickly does that work?

You can use the crushed coral and it will raise the ph and hold it there.

Another cheaper way then the buffer stuff mentioned above is using baking soda. I have never used it but I'm sure it will make the ph fluctuate during water changes. You'll always have to keep adding where with crushed coral you shouldn't need too

Baking soda is a quick fix, but the ph can crash back down again unexpectedly if I'm remembering correctly. Coral really is the best bet.

I've tried API pH up, baking soda, and microbe-life 8.5 pH buffer/stabilizer. I can't get it to go up. I'll try the crushed coral.

Back
Top Bottom