Help with dividing tank to save fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agcorb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently started this hobby and have acquired the following fish:

1 Pink Convict Cichlid

1 Firemouth Cichlid

1 Peacock Cichlid

1 Fairy Cichlid

4 Cory Catfish (2 Peppered, 2 Emerald)

1 Chinese Algae Eater

1 Albino Rainbow Shark

They are currently in a 30 gallon which I know is too small. I was going to get a 55 gallon but wasn't sure if I could put all of them in there or if I could put some in there and some in the 30?

I'm just really not sure the best way I keep all of them and would really like suggestions.

I also want to know if my fish look healthy or if you think some need separation. I wanted opinions from people who know what normal behavior is.

I went on vacation for a week and when I came back all of the fish except for my Chinese Algae Eater and Pink Convict have pieces from their fins bit off I believe. I am not sure if it was my Convict that went on a rampage or not. I hope it's not fun rot.

I have added a link to my YouTube with a few short 30 second clips of my tank for yall to view and give me your opinions.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCyupeKzcyD3rc4edC_Ak-7A

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your stocking is all over the place. You have african cichlids in with american cichlids. The cory cats in with fairly aggressive fish. The chinese algae eater which doesn't belong in any aquarium, especially ones with cory cats.

The african (Peacock and Fairy) and central american (Convict and Firemouth) cichlids have very different needs and the africans tend to be much more aggressive.

The cory cats are tiny in comparison to all these other fish and will get pecked to death

The chinese algae eater habitually kills other fish and is known for sucking out cory cats eyeballs.

The rainbow shark is outmatched by the other more aggressive fish in this tank.

First off I would get rid of the algae eater. Second, I would pick a tank theme from these: 1. African cichlids 2. American Cichlids 3. Community tank with your corys

If you pick africans they will absolutely need a 55g tank. The americans depending on species can likely fit in a 30g. Once you pick a theme then we can help you more.

Thank you I just would like to know opinions on how yall would split up the fish and size tanks you'd put them in. I want to try and keep them all and realize they can't stay in the same tank.

I don't mind multiple tanks, I currently have 2 30 gallon tanks and plan on getting a 55 gallon. Please let me know which fish you would split up and keep with which fish and if I would need different size tanks, etc.

I had no idea the algae eater would kill other fish, so you suggest I get rid of him all together? And what would I be able to replace him with to eat the algae? He does such a great job keeping things spotless!

Someone else can definitely give you better advise, but your cichlids are from different continents and need to be separated. I would pull the convict, firemouth and Cories to the 55g. Just watch the Cories. My firemouths always ate their eyes.

The fairy and peacock are both African and need their own tank. They are also from different lakes, which means that they might need to be separated.

So I should put the fairy and peacock in separate tanks? And the convict and Firemouth can go in one tank together? Does my shark have to be separate from all of the cichlids?

You should rethink this stock list. Save your Cories. Return or rehome them if you don't plan to set up at least one peaceful tank.

Shark needs a 55g. Should be able to live with the fire mouth ?

I would return the Africans I don't think you're ready for them yet.

I would return the convict for sure.

You can set up the 30 gallon as peaceful tank and add more Coreys once you take the other fish out. Or you could keep convict in the 30 and see if there's anything else you could add to it.

Please research fish before you buy.
Some stores will say and sell anything to you.

Well obviously I realize my stock list is incorrect which is why I am asking for help on how to correct the issue. I realize I made a mistake..

I had no idea the algae eater would kill other fish, so you suggest I get rid of him all together? And what would I be able to replace him with to eat the algae? He does such a great job keeping things spotless!

CAE can hit 12" and will suck the slime coat off of sleeping or slower fish as they grow bigger. They can become quite nasty as adults. The only suck algae as babies.

Please don't start multiple threads with same topic. It's against the rules and confusing.

1. Peaceful tank
40Breeder
8 of each of your Cory species
Live plants
Tetras or peaceful Rasboras

2. Convict tank
30g or larger
Convict
Compatible fish ?

3. Semi Aggressive tank
55g
Rainbow Shark
Firemouth
Compatible fish

4. African Tank #1
55g

5. African Tank # 2
55g or bigger

6. CAE tank
100g
CAE
Fast semi aggressive fish

You must have a lot of money if you want to keep all these fish.

Well obviously I realize my stock list is incorrect which is why I am asking for help on how to correct the issue. I realize I made a mistake..

I'm sorry for you as this will be tough to correct and keep all these fish.

Sorry I tried to delete other ones but can't. Thank you for the information. Again I realize I made a mistake and would like to try to correct it and am seeking advice. I can't help but to feel your responses are a bit rude towards me, but sometimes it is easy to read a tone wrong through text.

I kept 28 Cory cats with two monster plecs (15" and 18") and a shoal of 11 clown loach, they were fine. Non aggressive fish are just that, non aggressive.
I never removed dead and bashed in Cory carcasses and the only reason this lot are not still living together is because I moved and I had to give up most of the fish I was keeping at the time.

Ancistrus sp. Bristlenose are excellent algae eaters, peaceful and generally stay around 4-5" One fish is looking after my BIG tank all by herself.

You would most likely need 4 tanks and re home the algae eater to correct this.
1 Fairy Cichlid: Doesn't go with anything else
1 Firemouth Cichlid: may be able to go with the shark
1 Peacock Cichlid: best with other Peacocks only
1 Pink Convict Cichlid: May be able to go with the shark and firemouth if tank is big enough and set up correctly.
1 Chinese Algae Eater: Gets big and mean I would get rid of it.

Sorry I tried to delete other ones but can't. Thank you for the information. Again I realize I made a mistake and would like to try to correct it and am seeking advice. I can't help but to feel your responses are a bit rude towards me, but sometimes it is easy to read a tone wrong through text.

Understood.
With so much info at our fingertips with our smartphones, I just am just amazed at the lack of research before buying. This is NOT aimed at you specifically , just a daily issue with beginners.

Realizing you have an issue is 1/2 the battle ?

You did come to the right place. You will get plenty of advice and help.

If I seem rude, it's because I sometimes type before my polite side catches up.

I Love my fish. I'm esp concerned with Corydoras, one of my favorite fish.

I applaud you wanting to keep your fish. I'm happy to see you do not consider them disposable.

It's just going to be rough as you were sold such incompatible fish, which is definitely a fail by the store.

I can be rude, but I care enough to try to help.

Best of luck going forward.

My Cory vid
http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

I have 8 dwarf Cory Cats in my 10g currently. Heavily planted with hiding spots. These stay an inch or less.

Understood.
With so much info at our fingertips with our smartphones, I just am just amazed at the lack of research before buying. This is NOT aimed at you specifically , just a daily issue

I researched some and went to pet store just for a Firemouth since my shark was attacking a dwarf gourami that was in the setup that I moved to another tank but was assured I should get more cichlids and they'd be fine so I ended up with them and then learned they are incompatible. I've had them for a while so I've grown a big attached to all. It is a bit confusing researching online since I seem to find so much different information and I'd rather hear from other people's opinions directly.

So if I keep my Firemouth and shark in the same tank then should I still separate my cories from these two also?

Also if anyone watched my videos can you please tell me if all my fish seem to be acting healthy too? They seem fine to me but again I've never had experience with any of these and not sure what exactly their "normal" would be.

Thanks yall for the information so far!

My Cory vid
http://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

I have 8 dwarf Cory Cats in my 10g currently. Heavily planted with hiding spots. These stay an inch or less.

Are those just called plain dwarf cory cats or do they have a specific color name? I love their markings. Cory cats are def one of my favorite I believe.

30g mixed continents it's not that anyone wants to be rude it's just that you have too many problems.

In short you have a cichlids that don't mix. Different water parameters different aggression different sizes. If you don't rehome them your going to lose most of them.

So pick from the options new world or Africans stay with a continent.

We realize you didn't mean to pick a random set of cichlids but now that you have them. Their really isn't a formula for mixing cichlids from different continents.

The Chinese algae eater those get really big and really mean need a 55g at least for him and thats not even taking into account the other cichlids

30g mixed continents it's not that anyone wants to be rude it's just that you have too many problems.

In short you have a cichlids that don't mix. Different water parameters different aggression different sizes. If you don't rehome them your going to lose most of them.

So pick from the options new world or Africans stay with a continent.

We realize you didn't mean to pick a random set of cichlids but now that you have them. Their really isn't a formula for mixing cichlids from different continents.

Certain comments are rude and unnecessary... I know I can't keep them all in the same tank and am willing to provide the tanks needed for them but before I screw up again I came here for advice on which tanks I should get and setup for them.

I obviously know that my fish are mismatched or I would not have asked for help and no money is not an issue as I am willing to spend what I can and have as many tanks as necessary to keep from rehoming as few fish as possible but I don't want to get the wrong setups again.

I realize I will need to rehome the Chinese algae eater now.

I thought this was a site for advice not judgement, after reading other people's posts I am def not the first person to end up acquiring fish under unsuitable circumstances.

I'm sure that experienced hobbyists have all made mistakes at some point.

I made loads of mistakes when I started.
Just like you're planning to do, I got the right tanks for my fish.

Ooooops!
I hold my hand up! I did it too!
Good luck, this bunch will help you out.(y)

Back
Top Bottom