Help with established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malawihead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a well established African cichlid tank. 55 gallon. I don't have a lot of fish right now due to a few loses from a move not long ago. The problem I run into is there are no LFS around that sells decent sized cichlids so when I try to add fish to increase my stock the bigger older fish just kill them. I have a 20 gallon long that is currently empty so was considering using it to get my new Africans to a size that is big enough to withstand the bullies. Will this work and if so how long could they theoretically be in the smaller tank before needing to be moved? I'm sure most will just recommend buy online but larger fish are but too pricey for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could do one at a time. High quality food and daily water changes. In no time it will get some size on it.

Caleb

You could do one at a time. High quality food and daily water changes. In no time it will get some size on it.

Caleb

Yah, treat it like a grow out tank. 2 good daily feedings and a 50%wc.. maybe play some of those hulk hogan trainer vids in the background?? Can't hurt?? Brother!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would also search for cichlid clubs in your area. I've had one in both areas of the country I've lived in and they can be great resources

Thanks so much guys. You've helped me a lot. Any suggestions on food? I use blood worms and omega one cichlid pellets for my current tank.

I would stop blood Worms, Mbuna typically don't go well with protein and can get bloat easily

I have mostly carnivorous fish. Two are omnivorous but I don't give blood worms often for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom