Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help with green water

Hello, we have a 90 gallon tank with 5(was 7) peacock cichlids. Have had no problems til a couple days ago when we quickly lost two fish. Found out nitrates were very high so did another water change and lowered the nitrate level to safe zone (all other levels are good), but now we have green water and don't know how to fix it. Read on the web that a 48 hour blackout would solve the problem, but wondering if there are any other solutions are available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Bob

Old 04-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Usually a few water changes will help out with that. If your nitrates and all that were high, it may be that your tank had old tank syndrome. Pretty much means poop and waste builders up and made your toxins spike. It's probably just bacteria that ran wiles because of so much nitrate in the tank. It should clear up with the water changes.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've had green water before and no amount of water changes, having the lights off, cutting back on feedings helped. I got a uv sterilizer. It was the best decision EVER! Just my experience. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It should fix itself with doing several water changes and keeping nitrates as low as you can with clean water. Running your lights less should help too, I'd black it out for a couple days and set a timer for the lights to only kick on for 6 hours a day. If it doesn't get better then I'd look into a good uv light.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the replies and the advice. I did some research on UV sterilizers yesterday and I think I am going to go that route. Seems that it will help get rid of the bloom now and would be beneficial in the long term as well.

Tags
green, green water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com