Help with KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cstar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an African cichlid tank my Ph is 8, my GH is 120 , but my KH is 60. I have crushed shells in one of my filters and I still can't get my KH up. I have no crushed coral. Why is my KH so low?

What are your source water parameters? Water change schedule? What type of cichlids? I think your parameters should be fine as long as they're stable.

Is there a reason you want to bring the KH up? How are the fish. API makes an African rift buffer that will help with that too. But I don't foresee any problems from those readings. Your PH is good, so it seems strange your KH is so low. But I'm a big believer that stability is more important than ideal readings.

Alkalinity plays a part as well. I'm far from a chemist and hope one of the few we have on the site will speak up, but I believe that your kh may seem low in respect to pH, but that the alkalinity may be on the high side. Kh or Alk will buffer (stabilize swings).

Back
Top Bottom