Help with nitrate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cecil2010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all.
I have had my tank up and running for about 2 years but about 6 months ago I moved an I reused a lot of the water and it has been running fine but for the past 2-3 months my nitrate levels have been quite high. I have the API freshwater master kit and my reading are as followed:
Ph. 8.0-8.2
Ammonia. 0-5 ppm(very yellow but a very slight hint of green)
Nitrite 0-5 ppm(light blue but very slight tint of purple)
Nitrate 110 ppm(very deep red)

I do a 20-30% water change once a week and it don't seem to be helping.

When I do my water change I get all the way to the bottom of the gravel an get a lot of "poop" out every time.

The guy that I buy my fish from told me when I first started to only change one of my 2 filter cartridges at a time and I do that probably once a month and they get pretty funky.

Any suggestions on lowering my levels?

The best way to lower your nitrate level is to do bigger more frequent water changes.
Your Nitrate level will depend very much on the amount and size of fish you have in your tank.
If you have many large fish in your tank you will need to do large frequent water changes like say 50% twice a week.If you have less smaller fish you may get away with one 25% water change per week.
I do one 50-75% water change every week and my Nitrates stay below 25 ppm.Previously I had been doing 25% changes weekly and my Nitrates were pushing 60 ppm so water changes are definately key.
Also what filtration do you have and what size is your tank?What is your stocking list?

I have a 45G tank.
4 Africans about 3-4"(matured).
2 plecos one about 8-9" an the other about 4"
About 16 assassin snails(for the MTS)
And my filter is a whisper power filter 60
I feed them NLS 1mm sinking pellets once a day, skip Saturday and bloodworms or brine shrimp on Sunday.
Very few pellets hit the bottom so I don't think that I'm over feeding.
And I have no live plants

No I have not checked it by its self but that prime usually works pretty good in bringing down the levels. But I will check it when I get the chance and post the levels

Firstly the plecos have a huge bio load they are poop making machines and will continue to grow and increase the waste in your tank.
Do you know what your Africans are?
Could you post pics?

Have you considered a good cannister filter in addition to one of your 60's I think this would help you immensely.
I can strongly recommend the tetra ex1200 I run 2 of them on my tank and they do a wonderful job of looking after my water and keeping it crystal clear.

1) Pseudotropheus Socolofi
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60550-albums9209-picture36238.jpg
2) Melanochromis Auratus
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60550-albums9209-picture36228.jpg
3) Melanochromis Pallarelus
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60550-albums9209-picture36234.jpg
4) Pseudotropheus crabro
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60550-albums9209-picture36220.jpg

Im pretty sure that thats what they are, the spellin may be off though.
There are more pictures in my album.

Nice looking fish.
I don't think your fish are the problem with the exception of your pleco's.
I would perform daily 50% water changes until you get your nitrate level where you want it and then carry on with weekly 50% water changes to maintain them.

Nice looking fish.
I don't think your fish are the problem with the exception of your pleco's.
I would perform daily 50% water changes until you get your nitrate level where you want it and then carry on with weekly 50% water changes to maintain them.

thanks. i think that they are all hybrids.

oh really, thats nice to know. thats their favorite meal lol.

but i will test my tap and see what it reads and i will try the bigger water changes.

thanks for all the info!!

what do you think about my filter cartrages because there is always one funky one but i dont want to take the good chemicals out of the tank?

this might not be ideal but if i was to get a bigger filter or go somewhat along that route would that reduce the amount and intisity of the water changes?

How old is your test kit? If its old it could be off???

The problem with changing your filter media once a month is that it takes time for the bacteria to breed, and do their job. so in effect your running only half your protential filter capacity. If that makes sense.

Instead of replacing, just clean them in a bucket or two of tank water, getting rid of the muck but not the bacteria. This will help a lot .
The replacing of the filter pads could be the reason your showing some ammonia.

You want to do frequent water changes to decrease the current readings into a more acceptable level. I would only do 25% ever other day IMO, as you don't want to make rapid changes in the water chemistry. This could stress and kill your fish. although your readings aren't great, stable water conditions are better and massive fluctuations.

I would certainly look into upgrading the filter, long term not essential to do straight away. And possibly rehome the plec, you don't have many fish so other than the new pads issue, is the only other reason your filter is struggling. Maybe get some synodontis petricola as these work well with malawi cichlids and don't create massive bioloads. Avoid petricola mutipunctartus (sorry about spelling) although slow growers these get to about 10 inches!!!!!

ok i will try the cleaning of the cartrages first and if i cant regulate my levels that way then i will upgrade to a bigger filter. and i will also look into re homeing my pleco(at least the big one) and look into a syno.

thanks

took some levels today:

From Tap
Ph. ~8
Ammonia. ~2ppm
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. ~5ppm

Tap + Prime
Ph. ~8
Ammonia.~.25ppm
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. ~5ppm

Tank Water (about 4 days without water change)
Ph. ~8
Ammonia. 0ppm
Nitrite. 0ppm
Nitrate. ~100ppm:banghead:

I will do a 30-40% water change now ans rinse off my filter cartridge and will post those results when tank has calmed back down.

Is the high ammonia from the tap causing the problem, even though the Prime lowers the level of it or is the bio-load just too much for my filter and the water isnt being changed as frequently as it should be?

Back
Top Bottom