Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help with stocking

Hi all

Completely new to keeping African cichlids been doing lots of research and I canít quite decide on what species I should keep together hereís what I know I want

1/ an all male tank donít wanna run before I can walk and create aggression with the possibility of breading thatís basically

2/ I want to keep peacocks as I love the colours and I believe there slightly less aggressive

3/ is it possible to have a couple of yo-yo loaches with African Cichlids as a nice change of pace at the bottom of the tank

Thanks for any help in advance the tank is 65gal and is ready for fish to be added

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	308959

Old 05-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

These African Cichlids worked for me: male Red Shoulder & Dragon Blood Peacock Cichlids.
Yellow Tail Acei, Red Fin Borleyi, Red Top Hongi. Plenty of color, and manageable aggression.
Nice looking set up. Like the Honeycombed limestone.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Forgot one; Yellow Lab. Very bright colored, relatively docile for an African.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:25 AM   #4

Brilliant thanks for the recommendation and Iím glad you like the set up hopefully the cichlids do to
Old 05-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Forgot one; Yellow Lab. Very bright colored, relatively docile for an African.

Thanks for the advice I have ordered one of each today to be In my local store next week would 2 of each be okay in a 200L tank both of each would be male
Old 05-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Borleyi and Acei usually fine to have groupings. Male Peacocks, Only one of each variety.
Male Peacocks will have vibrant coloration. The females will be a faded, drab coloration.
Yellow Lab males usually have a solid black edging to their dorsal fin. Red Top Hongi males are very colorful. The females are plain. Only one male per tank.
If your tank is a new setup, make sure it has cycled. Good luck. Keep the updates coming.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Borleyi and Acei usually fine to have groupings. Male Peacocks, Only one of each variety.

Male Peacocks will have vibrant coloration. The females will be a faded, drab coloration.

Yellow Lab males usually have a solid black edging to their dorsal fin. Red Top Hongi males are very colorful. The females are plain. Only one male per tank.

If your tank is a new setup, make sure it has cycled. Good luck. Keep the updates coming.

Would you say Iím safe to put a small group of Pakistan loach to be bottom feeders with the cichlids and maybe a cat fish??
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO the YoYo Loaches would probably be Okay. Botia Modesta, or Tiger Botia Loaches might be a better choice. Those varieties are a little bit tougher. If you want a true catfish, most Synodontis varieties work well.

Tags
stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com