Help with stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aulonocara "German Red" and Aulonocara "Rubescens" are not in fact the same fish. Rubescens has been line bred from the Maleri Island race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri". German Reds have been line bred from the Chipoka race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri".

In short line bred fish from two different locational variants of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Please review this link http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/red_peacocks.php

Exactly what I said, line bred fish from different locational variants of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri"

German red:
"The Geman Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Chipoka race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri". "

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1313

Rubescens:
The Ruby Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Maleri Island race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri". It was named Rubescens after Peter Rubin, who first imported this fish from Germany.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1311

There's 5 recognized variants of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri".

Let me throw this in the mix for more interesting information :brows:

'Rubescens' and Other Red Peacocks from Germany
By Keegan Armke (11-97)

As the newest peacock color variety finds its way from Germany to the U.S., it’s not surprising that A. sp. “Rubescens” is wrapped in some controversy.

In a recent issue of an American Cichlid Association publication, there is a view expressed that all of the “Red” peacock color morphs being developed in Germany are really the same fish being offered under different names.

I don’t agree with this thinking. I phoned and explained to the writer, who admittedly does not keep the fish, that our aquaria housed “German Red Peacocks”, “Rubescens Peacocks” and “Eureka Red Peacocks”—all of which share a German origin—and that these fish decidedly, emphatically are not the same peacocks in terms of looks.

To be brief:
Auloncara sp. “Rubescens” exhibits a bright orange coloration through the body and fins which contrasts with a small amount of blue on the head. Females have a distinct orange outline across the dorsal fin. In my experience, it is much more peaceful than the average peacock. From a color standpoint, it is my favorite peacock.

Auloncara sp. “German Red” differs from “Rubescens” in that it has many more blue striations in the head, body and fins—enough blue all over that the impression is of a red-orange and blue fish. We have kept groups of “German Reds” from several different sources, including one group which was direct from Germany.

Auloncara sp. “Eureka Red” has a longer body and more sloped head and, moreover, has an entirely different pattern of reds and blues than either of the previous two fish. It is also much more aggressive—no doubt because of its probable origin as a jackobfreibergi.

The “Rubescens” and “German Red”, according to knowledgeable worldwide sources, derive from another peacock species. The original sources say the “Rubescens” was developed from A. baenschi (Maleri Island) and the “German Red” from A. baenschi (Chipoka). Until someone convinces me differently, I’ll accept this information. The color patterns fit the original fish quite well.

It’s important to note in this discussion that the “Red” peacocks from Germany do not appear to be the products of hybridization. Instead, they are produced by line-breeding special morphs of a species—the same type of development which originally produced albino corydoras, fantail guppies, lyretail mollies, etc.

(Note: The “Rubescens” is sometimes called “Ruby Red Peacock” in an attempt to Americanize the German name.)

Let me throw this in the mix for more interesting information :brows:

'Rubescens' and Other Red Peacocks from Germany
By Keegan Armke (11-97)

As the newest peacock color variety finds its way from Germany to the U.S., it’s not surprising that A. sp. “Rubescens” is wrapped in some controversy.

In a recent issue of an American Cichlid Association publication, there is a view expressed that all of the “Red” peacock color morphs being developed in Germany are really the same fish being offered under different names.

I don’t agree with this thinking. I phoned and explained to the writer, who admittedly does not keep the fish, that our aquaria housed “German Red Peacocks”, “Rubescens Peacocks” and “Eureka Red Peacocks”—all of which share a German origin—and that these fish decidedly, emphatically are not the same peacocks in terms of looks.

To be brief:
Auloncara sp. “Rubescens” exhibits a bright orange coloration through the body and fins which contrasts with a small amount of blue on the head. Females have a distinct orange outline across the dorsal fin. In my experience, it is much more peaceful than the average peacock. From a color standpoint, it is my favorite peacock.

Auloncara sp. “German Red” differs from “Rubescens” in that it has many more blue striations in the head, body and fins—enough blue all over that the impression is of a red-orange and blue fish. We have kept groups of “German Reds” from several different sources, including one group which was direct from Germany.

Auloncara sp. “Eureka Red” has a longer body and more sloped head and, moreover, has an entirely different pattern of reds and blues than either of the previous two fish. It is also much more aggressive—no doubt because of its probable origin as a jackobfreibergi.

The “Rubescens” and “German Red”, according to knowledgeable worldwide sources, derive from another peacock species. The original sources say the “Rubescens” was developed from A. baenschi (Maleri Island) and the “German Red” from A. baenschi (Chipoka). Until someone convinces me differently, I’ll accept this information. The color patterns fit the original fish quite well.

It’s important to note in this discussion that the “Red” peacocks from Germany do not appear to be the products of hybridization. Instead, they are produced by line-breeding special morphs of a species—the same type of development which originally produced albino corydoras, fantail guppies, lyretail mollies, etc.

(Note: The “Rubescens” is sometimes called “Ruby Red Peacock” in an attempt to Americanize the German name.)

And the debate still continues 18 years later. The article I attached has both line bred from Chipoka and the closing comment satisfies me. If you look at each species profile photos some of each species has part blue face on some and full blue face on theirs. Some are more solid, some are redder, some are more Orange.
I think that we can all agree that they are similar.

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to bring up an 18year debate here. I was just looking for some good feedback on a stocking list for my new tank. Mogurako I appreciate the recommendation you provided I believe it was spot on. I did have one question that I should have asked before regarding the recommendation of adding females. Is this to keep aggression down? I took your recommendations and added a few more since I am more into the colors versus breeding. I also did some more research and removed the more aggressive fish from my list. My problem is location. I only have access to one LFS without driving for about 4 hours and I don't trust Petco and Pet Smart stores. Since most of my ordering g if not all will be on line orders I am just trying to get a good list of fish together that I can order. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

The Wetspot based out of Portland Oregon has everything instock that was on the list I posted. I like to have females just to see the mating behavior but you can just as easily have a male only tank.

The Wetspot based out of Portland Oregon has everything instock that was on the list I posted. I like to have females just to see the mating behavior but you can just as easily have a male only tank.

Thank You I have not heard of the Wetspot so I will diff initially be checking them out here in a few minutes. Appreciate the help with this.

Plenty of good ones out there. Looking forward to seeing your stock.

ralfieboy, for giggles... Which one do i have in my aquarium? :D

hJmLET.jpg

Back
Top Bottom