Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help with stocking list

We'll I think my cycle is nearing completion if not I will still work on it some more but I am now starting to look at a stocking list for it. The tank is a 220gal (72L X 24W X 30H). For filtration I have 2 Eheim 2217 and 2 Ehiem 2262.

I was thinking of stocking it with the fish below and wanted to see if anyone sees any issues I may encounter in doing so. Also suggestions on the number of fish is appreciated as well. Recommendations for other fish to add is also greatly appreciated

Altolamprologus calvus (Black)
Aulonocara Chiloelo "orange band"
Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow Lab)
Aulonocara maylandi sulferhead
Cyrtocara Moorii
Aulonocara Red Regal peacocks
Lethrinops sp. Mbawa Black Fin
Pseudotropheus sp "williamsi blue lips"
Aulonocara Lemon Jake "Undu Reef"-
Aulonocara German Red peacock
Aulonocara stuartgranti ngara
Aulonocara sp. Lwanda
Aulonocara kandeensis
Copadichromis melas
Scientific Name: Astatotilapia nubila

Thanks

Old 12-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

For Haps divide tank by 4 that's your max ( hap only )

Peacocks divide by 1.5 max # of peacocks

Mbuna divide tank by 2

Just a rough formula to go by ..

notenoughtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Help with stocking list

Used this for my 75 gal mbuna tank I have 30 fish in there been doing fine

Granted my max is 37
Old 12-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by notenoughtanks View Post
For Haps divide tank by 4 that's your max ( hap only )

Peacocks divide by 1.5 max # of peacocks

Mbuna divide tank by 2

Just a rough formula to go by ..

Very very rough.....

OP your stock list seems very disjointed. I suggest choosing lake tanganyika community, Mbuna, or Haps and peacocks. Then build a list from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-19-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
Very very rough.....

OP your stock list seems very disjointed. I suggest choosing lake tanganyika community, Mbuna, or Haps and peacocks. Then build a list from there.

Yea these are the max amounts I never go to the max ... But just to get somewhat of an idea of what op can do .. How ever with 220 I would do CA cichlids lol
Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
Very very rough.....

Thanks I was thinking of a Hap and Peacock setup but really like some of the other species as well. This will be the first cichlid tank I have setup up and most of the fish will have to be ordered on line due to my location. So starting early and will go from there. I was thinking of 35-40 but not sure if I need 2 of one type and 4 of another so was hoping for some feed back on that as well. I want some fish with a lot of color (blue, black, yellow, rust). Different body styles is always a plus.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpru View Post
Thanks I was thinking of a Hap and Peacock setup but really like some of the other species as well. This will be the first cichlid tank I have setup up and most of the fish will have to be ordered on line due to my location. So starting early and will go from there. I was thinking of 35-40 but not sure if I need 2 of one type and 4 of another so was hoping for some feed back on that as well. I want some fish with a lot of color (blue, black, yellow, rust). Different body styles is always a plus.

Haps and peacocks would be your best bet then. Similar temperaments (depending on the fish) , dietary needs. If you're stocking peacocks get confirmed males otherwise you'll be stuck with a brown/silver fish. Order 2-6 of each, some won't survive due to power struggles. Shoot for about 20-25, but that number depends on allot on the fish chosen.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would remove the Calvus, Nubila, Williams Blue Lips, and Auloncara Orange Band. You may be okay with the yellow lab. One male of each and I would suggest paying a premium to get males. You may wish to add a Protomelas Species or Placidochromis Species. Say Phenoculus Mdoka White Lips, or Tanzania, Deep Water Hap, Spilotonus Tanzania, Taiwanee Reef, Copadichromis Verdyuni, Otopharynx Yellow Blaze Lithbates. Another suggestion would be a group of Synodontis Multipunctatus 4 minimum or a couple of Synodontus Decorus. Be prepared that the Lethrinops will not colour up until it is dominant. 30 to 40 fish will work. Remember they will grow.
To reduce cost, I have several aquariums where I grow the fish out and add them when coloured up. 220 is a nice size. Have fun.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfieboy View Post
I would remove the Calvus, Nubila, Williams Blue Lips, and Auloncara Orange Band. You may be okay with the yellow lab. One male of each and I would suggest paying a premium to get males. You may wish to add a Protomelas Species or Placidochromis Species. Say Phenoculus Mdoka White Lips, or Tanzania, Deep Water Hap, Spilotonus Tanzania, Taiwanee Reef, Copadichromis Verdyuni, Otopharynx Yellow Blaze Lithbates. Another suggestion would be a group of Synodontis Multipunctatus 4 minimum or a couple of Synodontus Decorus. Be prepared that the Lethrinops will not colour up until it is dominant. 30 to 40 fish will work. Remember they will grow.
To reduce cost, I have several aquariums where I grow the fish out and add them when coloured up. 220 is a nice size. Have fun.
This great input and very much helpful. The tank finished cycling today so now I just need to get serious about the fish.

So a few more questions. Since I will be adding upto about 40 fish or so is it best to add them all at once (believe I know the answer but thought I would ask) or ad them a few at a time. If so how many does everyone recommend? I have a tight budget and due to location I will have to order the fish from somewhere to get some decent ones so suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpru View Post

This great input and very much helpful. The tank finished cycling today so now I just need to get serious about the fish.

So a few more questions. Since I will be adding upto about 40 fish or so is it best to add them all at once (believe I know the answer but thought I would ask) or ad them a few at a time. If so how many does everyone recommend? I have a tight budget and due to location I will have to order the fish from somewhere to get some decent ones so suggestions are appreciated.
Not sure where you are located. Old World Exotics is a place where many Canadians get fish from the US. They have all been pleased.

I would not get that many fish at once. You will have spikes in your water parameters. I would break it down to four shipments and place each after you are sure that they are healthy. Maybe one to two weeks apart.

Tags
stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com