Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help with tank size

So I convinced my mom to let me get fish.( my sister says I am hustling her.) But I am having some bad luck. So I started of with a betta. I went to petco and my mom said we can just look. But as you know who can turn down the bright colors of a betta. So I bought a little half gallon tank. So I went home and did some research an figured out that they need at least a two gallon tank. So I went back to petco and bought a ten gallon for him and everything else. Which the ten gallon costs the same as just buying the little bowl.
But then we went to walmart a couple of weeks later. And I came home with a tiger oscar and a common pleco and a 5 gallon tank for my betta. So now I am going to have to get a bigger tank for the oscar and pleco. So I was wondering what size tank I would need for both of them. Hoping not to go over a 30 gallon but if I have to buy a 40 I will but that is my max. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate to tell you this but an Oscar needs a 4ft tank min. at least a 55. if the pleco is a common pleco then at least a 75 gallon. Also the Oscar will grow about an inch a month if cared for properly.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on the above comment! An oscar in a 10 gallon isn't going to do well... Also that is a tremendous bio-load with the pleco
Old 03-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately a 40 won't even cut it :/
Here's a better view of it, an Oscar will get around a foot big and the pleco will be around a foot and a half to two feet. Sorry to burst your bubble. But your best bet is to by a minimum 55 which is really cutting it for the pleco. Or find a better home for the fish. I'm sure you wouldn't want the fish to live a bad life so you have to make the choice.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yup not a good decision
Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

What would you recommend me to do because if I take them back to walmart they just flush them
Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you live near a Petco, they might take them in.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

My petco doesn't sale oscars but my petsmart does do you think they will take them?
Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalife View Post
My petco doesn't sale oscars but my petsmart does do you think they will take them?

One time I tried to give them a fish for free, but they declined. But maybe yours will take it? If not, maybe you can find another lfs that would adopt them?

Tags
size, tan, tank, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com