Help with tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettalife

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I convinced my mom to let me get fish.( my sister says I am hustling her.) But I am having some bad luck. So I started of with a betta. I went to petco and my mom said we can just look. But as you know who can turn down the bright colors of a betta. So I bought a little half gallon tank. So I went home and did some research an figured out that they need at least a two gallon tank. So I went back to petco and bought a ten gallon for him and everything else. Which the ten gallon costs the same as just buying the little bowl.
But then we went to walmart a couple of weeks later. And I came home with a tiger oscar and a common pleco and a 5 gallon tank for my betta. So now I am going to have to get a bigger tank for the oscar and pleco. So I was wondering what size tank I would need for both of them. Hoping not to go over a 30 gallon but if I have to buy a 40 I will but that is my max. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

I hate to tell you this but an Oscar needs a 4ft tank min. at least a 55. if the pleco is a common pleco then at least a 75 gallon. Also the Oscar will grow about an inch a month if cared for properly.

+1 on the above comment! An oscar in a 10 gallon isn't going to do well... Also that is a tremendous bio-load with the pleco

Unfortunately a 40 won't even cut it :/
Here's a better view of it, an Oscar will get around a foot big and the pleco will be around a foot and a half to two feet. Sorry to burst your bubble. But your best bet is to by a minimum 55 which is really cutting it for the pleco. Or find a better home for the fish. I'm sure you wouldn't want the fish to live a bad life so you have to make the choice.

What would you recommend me to do because if I take them back to walmart they just flush them :(

My petco doesn't sale oscars but my petsmart does do you think they will take them?

My petco doesn't sale oscars but my petsmart does do you think they will take them?

One time I tried to give them a fish for free, but they declined. But maybe yours will take it? If not, maybe you can find another lfs that would adopt them?

Back
Top Bottom