Here we go again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malawi Freak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another sad day in the aquarium world. Just added some fish 2 days ago. Lfs got a not so pleasant phone call at 7 am.

Attachments

• image-2139347874.jpg
    image-2139347874.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 128
OMG, that's awful.

We absolutely need more details. What happened?

That's a whole lotta fish to add to any tank all at once. How did you acclimate them?

I know the lfs I go to is not the best, but I go there so much their prices are by far the best. I'm convinced it's a disease of some sort, especially since I tested my water last night and it was spot on. 0 nitrite. 0 ammonia. 20 nitrate. Ph 8.2.

Call the store and ask if they have had a problem.. How big is your tank?

I have a 125 which has been running for 2 years. A recent restocking of the tank started 4 months ago which only 8 fish have been added since then. 4 ps. Daktaris and the 4 Cory cats.

I've read some of your other posts and I know that you're really knowledgeable about your cichlids. I'm sure thorough research with the lfs will gain you some answers, but that doesn't excuse the loss.

LyndaB said:
I've read some of your other posts and I know that you're really knowledgeable about your cichlids. I'm sure thorough research with the lfs will gain you some answers, but that doesn't excuse the loss.

My biggest pet peeve with this hobby is neglect.

I'm mad because I know how they are and I have never shopped for my fish there. I'll get everything for my cats, snake, and dog. I will not say a location or name of the store cause I'm not like that, but I'm just as at fault.

As of this morning about half of my cichlids were dead. There were about 10 sitting at the top of the tank I'm expecting to see floating when I get home from work.

I am not one to quarantine too often but if I were you it may need to be a ritual.

I was staring at my old 29 the other day debating on running it for that. I guess this is a big yes to that.

IM sorry!!!Thats awful! im a lover of cichlids too, i have a 55. better luck next time!

LyndaB said:
Any chance it was something weird like a heater malfunction?

Just saw this. I highly doubt that since one of my 500 w heaters went so I recently pulled the other out too and put in 4 200w that I had laying around. If one had an issue it wouldn't be able to raise temps enough to cause an issue.

Oh boy has aggression hit an all time high in this tank. Since I lost about 85% of my fish over 4" and a good majority of males the pecking order is way out of whack.

Back
Top Bottom