Herichthys bite!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tandanus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hahahaaa...I was carrying out some maintenance in my tank which is home to my pair of Herichthys carpintis. They are now 1st time proud parents. They had just placed their wriggling fry in a pit. I was working on the opposite end of the tank when all of a sudden the male was on me in a flash. I was surprised when he nipped my hand because he had never done that before. I laughed out loud as he kept up his assault until I backed off. What a tough nut he is now he's a dad ;)

I love Herichthys, they are one of my favorite genus of cichlids. You get all the size and color of Central American fish without the insane killing machine mentality of their cousins. Here is my sp. turquoise.

I used to have a pair of Parachromis managuense that my wife would have to keep occupied with a broom while I was changing water, they would both take turns making a run at my arm and both drew blood while guarding fry.

Post some pictures!

Attachments

• pic8-1024x678.jpg
    pic8-1024x678.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Herichthys species. Personality plus!

Thanks Hukit, wow your turquoise is stunning. I have never seen these for sale here. I love them too. They are masters of aquascape. It's such a pleasure watching them shift the substrate around, building mountains and valleys. I would enjoy any more photos of your Herichthys species or any other fish for that matter. I only have Herichthys and Thorichthys plus a couple of corys and a Hoplosternum catfish. I have tried to post photos here but I have only had success in the cichlid gallery. Check it out. I uploaded some better photos of my Herichthys pair. I think they are beautiful.

P.s. Hukit, I just joined your group and uploaded photos there of my Herichthys. Hope you like them. Tell me, what is that magnificent fish on your group's avatar? He is an absolute beauty. I would buy another tank just for a pair of these! Hahaaa ;)

That's a female excichlasoma festae, they are extremely aggressive and the males get quite large. My female killed two different males after spawning, here is mine.

Your pictures look great, I love the color change when they spawn!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Thanks Hukit, you wouldn't believe it but it took me 45 minutes to get just 3 decent enough photos of my Herichthys. I scrapped about 40 odd. Your festae is wow! gorgeous. It's a shame they are so aggressive. That must have been disappointing to lose your males. Again; another species I have not seen here for sale. Why are they called exchiclasoma? Have they been reclassified and not yet come up with a new classification?

Cichlid classifications is a ever changing name game that is sometimes tough to keep up with, festae has run the gambit over the years and has been in Amphilophus, Nandopsis, Cichlasoma, and exCichlasoma. There are hundreds of species of cichlids as go though this, Vieja for example went though a major overhaul splitting into a few different genus of fish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom