Hiding cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dobbin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need advice with my cichlids because everytime I go to look at them they all hide in behind the ocean rock why is this? Help please

I've heard some cichlids are shy if they don't have enough of their own kind in the tank....such as labs etc (I know not all cichlids are like this but it's a possibility)

Nope very silent and I've got loads of mixed but they all hide as soon as see me unless feeding

I haven't had my cichlid tank but for about 2 months now, but as soon as my mbuna figured out I was the one that provided them with food, every time I get near they all come out and try to get my attention.

My best comparison would be to arriving home to dogs who compete for your attention.

That's a bit strange that they all hide when you come near. Cichlids are some of the most sociable fish I've ever kept. What's your stock list?

Not sure of amount but got labs, mbunas, acais, 2 frontosas, cuckoo catfish, 2bristlenose, and some more not sure of names

In both my cichlid tanks they love anyone any thing that comes to see them. Funny to watch them interact with the cat paws. It's expensive kitty tv and our one dog loves to lay on the arm of the couch and watch them. She will lick and whine at them. If she's looking and none are there she whines and does little barks like she's mad they didn't come to see her. It's hilarious to watch. But a pain to keep the glass clean! It's not bad enuff the animals beg at my fiancé when he's eating, the fish do too. Def not shy IMO.

When I had my cichlids in a 55g they were extremely skittish and shy. You would think the tank was empty it was that bad. I recently upped them to a 125g and they were a little better. Only recently has the problem been resolved when I added 10 new fish. They now act like they once did swimming out front and rushing for food when I get near.

I think my issue was that I had a friend come over who apparently tormented the fish with a mag float and his phone, while I wasn't there. Since that incident they were horribly shy. I'm so glad I got my fish back nbut it took weeks.

Back
Top Bottom