Hiding Fish :?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have six small yellow labs and they are constanlty hiding. What can I do to get them out ?

Wheres the fish ? LOL :lol:

How long have they been in the tank? It's not uncommon for new arrivals to hide while they become acclimated to their new surroundings.

it's normal for them to hide and they will hide more if they are trying to escape agression. What's your male to female ratio?

Also, is there a lot of activity in front of the tank? Or, the opposite, so little activity that the fish are spooked every time someone appears?

Since the fish are still adjusting to the tank, I'd give it another week or so. I could go back and read your previous threads, but I am on dial up and that's WAY too time consuming. How did you cycle the tank before adding the labs? If the tank isn't cycled, Africans will hide. They are generally always out and in the open, so only a few situations come to mind as to why they hide.

1) Uncycled tank
2) High nitrates/Nitrites/Ammonia
3) Newly aquired
4) Being bullied

But since you only have the labs and they are juvis, I don't think they are being bullied because then the aggressor would still be out and about in the tank. My bet is that it's just because they are still becoming aquainted with the tank. Give it time and make sure you spend alot of time around the tank to get them acustomed to you.

My pair of yellow labs did the same thing until I added more cichlids. Once I added the other fish they came out of hiding to kinda see what was going on in the tank.

engine49 said:
My pair of yellow labs did the same thing until I added more cichlids. Once I added the other fish they came out of hiding to kinda see what was going on in the tank.

His tank is topped out with fish right now.. dont give him any ideas!!! ROFL!!
I personaly think they just need time to adjust.. 8)

Back
Top Bottom