High nitrates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I missed a week of water changes and I can't get my nitrates down! I have been doing more changes but nothing helps. Now my fish are acting funny and two of them randomly decide they only need to use one fin....could that be related? Any secrets to how to lower nitrates quickly!

What kind of filter are you running? I missed cleaning my canisters once and my nitrates skyrocketed. That said, each 50% water change you do will bring them down to half what they were. Also, what are you considering high?

I only have the unreliable test strips right now and they say the nitrate (no2) ppm is 10 in the danger zone! Makes sense seeing as my fish are acting weird.. Rubbing on things and twitching. They got better when I did more water changes the last was 50% . but I notices two of my fish holding a fin close to their bodies and only randomly using it. I'm worried and feel bad cause it was my fault.

10ppm nitrates are absolutely perfect, but you do need to upgrade to a API master fresh water kit. For every 50% water change will drop your nitrates by half. But you do need to know what your actual readings are. If you can't skip a week of water changes and your nitates are rising that quick you may need to revisit your current stock list.

What do you mean revisit my list? (sorry for the dumb question) and if my nitrates are ok (assuming the sticks are remotely accurate) then why would my fish be acting a little off?

If your overstocked or under filtered your nitrates are going to rise very quickly. I'm guilty of overstocking the crap out of some of my tanks but even after 2 weeks my nitrates never hit 30ppm.

I only have five fish.. One that needs to be homed eventually oh and an eel. Come to think of it my issues started after I got roped into taking this eel that needs to be homes cause the guy told menthe would be perfect. I get home do research to find out he is bracish and my tank is a cichlid tank... My Pleco died of an infection shortly after.. He liked to smack into the lid. Poor guy

Did you quarantine the new fish? Its possible he could have brought a parasite or disease into the tank which could explain the pleco's death and the different behavior.

No I didn't even think them related. It's a terrible mess to get him out of his home. I spent time making him a home only to have him find comfort inside my dragon. The one that airrates the tank. If I separate them will that help . Is there a way to find out if they have something so I can treat? I have monitored them daily and no physical markings or color changes only behavioral

No, without knowing what or even if they have something would decide on the treatment. I would invest in a proper water test kit to start, then continue to monitors the fish behavior. But for future reference its always best to quarantine new fish for a minimum of three weeks before adding to your display tank.

When did you clean your filters last. Nitrates can build up in the gunk in the bottom of an HOB filter. You have to rinse it out every once in a while or they will go back in the tank. Same with a canister, if you go too long between cleanings they can be a nitrate factory. First step is to get an accurate test though. Liquid is the only way to go.

What kind of filter are you running? I missed cleaning my canisters once and my nitrates skyrocketed. That said, each 50% water change you do will bring them down to half what they were. Also, what are you considering high?

+1 I'm with rook. You can do water changes, but it wont do any good if you are just creating more nitrates in the filter.

Back
Top Bottom