high nitrite fixed by water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I did a 25 % yesterday, my nitrite still slightly pink (in the stress zone), all other readings good, should I do another today?, how much?

I just have the test strips, I did a 50% change and retested. Nitrate was perfect, nitrite is light pink which is in the stress zone. This is a fairly new tank n I treated recently for parasites... so.. another 50% tomorrow it looks like.

I would recommend steering away from test strips. They are highly unreliable. Its best to invest in a liquid test kit. If the tank is new there could be ammonia present and you wouldn't know because your strips don't test for it.

I think I will do that, the stuff I treat the new water w is supposed to remove ammonia n chlorine

Sounds a bit like the tank isnt fully cycled. Previous post of liquid test kits are really the best. I used strips before and compared to liquid kits are well off the mark

it probably isn't, I confess, I used "start a tank in a bottle" supposed to have the bio stuff in it, safe start by tetra

so yall would do another 50% change tomorrow? the tank has been up for about 2 -3 wks. and last week I did a trtmt for internal parasites w a 25 % change on fri. n 50% today since the trtmt, ty

I would suggest if you think you have parasite to change water daily and nitrites will be lowered by this also. If you know anyone with an established tank, see if you can borrow decor or filter media to get the cycled do as quickly as possible

thank u, I don't know of anyone w established tanks. I did add the right amt of salt to the tank last wk b4 I treated and have been replacing as I change water. What kind of help for it could I get at lfs? I did buy this product when I bought patasite mef., but was afraid to use it, thought it might make my nitrite higher? says for reactivating filters damaged by meds, also says nitrifying bacteria so idk says ok for new tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130622_194119.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130622_194119.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 36
If you local fish store is good they will help you out with seed material. Some gravel out of their tank etc. Its hard to say what to add unless you know your water parameters a good old water change is always a good thing. So probably do those daily until you get a liquid test kit. Its probably not the treatment making your nitrites high probably just the cycle. If when you test you have no ammonia but do have nitrites your cycle is well on the way :). Once established your goal is no ammonia no nitrites and no more then around 20ppm nitrates

Idk if I have parasites or lost my venustus to crappy food, or water for that matter.. he did seem bloated tho w white, stringy poo wasn't swimming kuch or eating at all, He died after first trmt. Everyone else seems fine eating n swimming.. so I didn't treat again

He may have just been a weak fish. Daily water changes, ask around for seed material and do a full test as soon as possible. If your tank is still cycling the daily water changes should keep the levels at a more tolerable level

This is a trap that new fish keepers fall into. They get a tank and add fish. The fish start dying and you think it's from disease. The majority of fish deaths are usually from an uncycled tank. I would discontinue any treatment you are using and make sure to keep the water as clean (ammonia and nitrite free) as you can for now.

What size tank and what stock do you have?

75 g 2 haps, 7 peacocks, 1 yellow lab. I already stopped parasite trtmt. did 1 trtmt., was wed. night

Back
Top Bottom