Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

High PH and Plecos

I've done searches looking for threads that may answer my question about High PH and plecos but I have not been successful. I am look for algae eating pleco that can handle High PH

So, to all my fellow cichlid keepers I need help. I am starting a new freshwater tank which will house about 70 or so male peacocks. As I understand it Malawi cichlids can be kept in a range of 7.5-8.5.

if I keep Peacocks in the lower range 8.0 or less will this affect the color or their health? If I do this then my options for plecos have a larger pool.

If I keep Peacocks in the higher range 8.1-8.5 my chances of getting an algae eater shrink tremendously. Is higher PH better for their health and coloration?

I found the Liposarcus anisitsi which gets to about 16 inches and can handle up to 8.2, Chaetostoma joropo, my favorite which will get about 4.7" and can handle a ph of up to 8.6 but no one sell this in the US, Cnidoglanis macrocephalus this can get to be monster size and will redecorate my tank and Panaqolus albivermis, which is a wood eater and not what I am looking for.

Are there any others that I haven't found yet?

Malawi Cichlid keepers what Ph do you normally keep you cichlids in?

In the end I want to get their water chemistry as closely replicated to their natural environment as possible but yet keep plecos.

Is this wishful thinking?

I need your help.

Thanks
Ed

Tags
high ph, plec, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com