High PH and Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

speedy51

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've done searches looking for threads that may answer my question about High PH and plecos but I have not been successful. I am look for algae eating pleco that can handle High PH

So, to all my fellow cichlid keepers I need help. I am starting a new freshwater tank which will house about 70 or so male peacocks. As I understand it Malawi cichlids can be kept in a range of 7.5-8.5.

if I keep Peacocks in the lower range 8.0 or less will this affect the color or their health? If I do this then my options for plecos have a larger pool.

If I keep Peacocks in the higher range 8.1-8.5 my chances of getting an algae eater shrink tremendously. Is higher PH better for their health and coloration?

I found the Liposarcus anisitsi which gets to about 16 inches and can handle up to 8.2, Chaetostoma joropo, my favorite which will get about 4.7" and can handle a ph of up to 8.6 but no one sell this in the US, Cnidoglanis macrocephalus this can get to be monster size and will redecorate my tank and Panaqolus albivermis, which is a wood eater and not what I am looking for.

Are there any others that I haven't found yet?

Malawi Cichlid keepers what Ph do you normally keep you cichlids in?

In the end I want to get their water chemistry as closely replicated to their natural environment as possible but yet keep plecos.

Is this wishful thinking?

I need your help.

Thanks
Ed

Back
Top Bottom