highly unlikely, but.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

i know it is highly unlikely but i want to know if i can grow an oscar in my 29 gal

letting him start out small and once he exceeds 5 or 6 inches can i just trade him into my LFS?

and if i do decide to grow him, will he eat a pleco, and 5 corydoras?

cause the mollies i have now i can put in my sisters tank

TIA

Rudy,

I grew my Oscar in a 29 gallon tank. He outgrew it after about 6 months and is now swimming around in a 70 gallon.

If you are friendly with your LFS, ask them if they would be willing to take your Oscar in on trade once it gets big. Do this BEFORE you purchase the little Oscar to save trouble down the road.

My Oscar never bothered my Pleco. Plecos are pretty tough andy typically hide underneath rocks or logs during the day. Just insure you create a hiding spot for your pleco.

best of luck with your oscar,
Asaint

cause the mollies i have now i can put in my sisters tank

Doesn't she have a 10 gallon? 9 mollies in a 10 gallon is trouble, if you ask my opinion.
i know it is highly unlikely but i want to know if i can grow an oscar in my 29 gal
No. And you assumed correctly. I wouldn't. It will outgrow your tank quite soon (within months) and then you'd have to full with taking it back and all that. I would stick with what you have now and wait for the oscar until you get a larger tank.

JMHO.

You could do it technically, but it isn't practical. I'm doing it right now until he gets bigger...then I'll just turn my 29 into something else. They are very dirty fish though and you will be doing lots of PWC's. :roll:

i know about them being dirty fish and i wouldnt mind doing all those PWC's but my LFS really likes me and im sure they would be happy to take him once he gets too big

and i want to know if it is possible to make my 29 gal a cichlid tank

if so, what fish do you guys recommend for it? cause i know i am able to grow angels to their max cause my tank dimension are LxWxH 32x12x18 all of that is in inches

so any help would be greatly appeciated

Rudy, as you know, I have 4 juvenile angels in my 30g. Part of the reason for me getting a bigger tank is because of them. Adult angels need around 10g each. My 30g would not have been enough.

Considering your current stock in the 29 and the fact that your sister can/will take the mollies, you would still have to make a decision about the leopard. When that is done, you could probably do 2 angels and 2 German Rams or Keyholes.

What do you think?

i like angels but i have never seen keyholes, i know what german rams are, my LFS has them for 7.99 or 8.99 each

but i would really love a cichlid tank tho :?

can anyone give me an idea of what cichlids will fit in a 29 gal that are big?

Back
Top Bottom