hob filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anybody use filter floss or similar media in your hob filter? If so can you post a pic of your rig please?

I use it in canisters because they are sealed and will force the watrr through. In an open HOB it will clog very quickly and then the water will just flow around it.

Fishguy2727 said:
I use it in canisters because they are sealed and will force the watrr through. In an open HOB it will clog very quickly and then the water will just flow around it.

That's what I figured. No good without a frame and for all of that work... might as well buy the cartridges. I have a Eheim Ecco 2236 on my 55 gal... just thinking about using an hob I have also.
Thanks

Use the HOB, best place to store it is running on a tank, I just wouldn't use floss.

Totally. As soon as I recover from my latest spending spree I'll get some cartridges lol

Fishguy2727 said:
Use the HOB, best place to store it is running on a tank, I just wouldn't use floss.

Got the cartridges and I'm super glad I did. The Aqueon pumps A LOT of water. Would you recommend rinsing and re-using the cartridges? The floss material seems pretty sturdy.

the aqueon blue frame can hold polyfiber and or blue filter pad cut to size if you dont wanna buy disposable cartiges. just rinse em off and keeping em clean is FAR cheaper than buying something you will throw away.i make filter fibers on all mine except my aquaclears cuz they are pretty good the way they are. makes u think.. that extra money i save could get me a new t5 h.o. or my first canister filter. dont do this if you are lazy or rich...

doogle said:
the aqueon blue frame can hold polyfiber and or blue filter pad cut to size if you dont wanna buy disposable cartiges. just rinse em off and keeping em clean is FAR cheaper than buying something you will throw away.i make filter fibers on all mine except my aquaclears cuz they are pretty good the way they are. makes u think.. that extra money i save could get me a new t5 h.o. or my first canister filter. dont do this if you are lazy or rich...

Do you separate the frame and put it back together with new material? I'm definitely going to rinse and reuse but is also be interested in using the frame with new fiber.

separate theframe? it should look like a C shape that wraps around the backside of the filter fiber,right? toss the white fiber and carbon. cut blue filter pad a little oversized and place it in the frame and re enter it in the filter. i stuff poly fiber in em also, instead of the blue filter pad. just use your imagination and start getting creative, you wont be wasting money on that stuff anymore.dont rinse the blue parts, they act as the biological medias.

doogle said:
separate theframe? it should look like a C shape with that wrapsaround the backside of the filter fiber,right? toss the white fiber and carbon. cut blue filter pad a little oversized and place it in the frame and re enter it in the filter. i stuff poly fiber in em also, instead of the blue filter pad. just use your imagination and start getting creative, you wont be wasting money on that stuff anymore.dontrinse the blue partes, they act as the biological medias.

Good advice. Thanks!

i have been thinking about using more bioballs or ceramic cylinders, stars, anything in my extra space to add more bio strength to my filters/tanks. dont use carbon, unless you need it, or at least sparingly = more room for mechanical or bio filtration.

yup yup yup. early on in the start of this hobby i knew i would save alot of money this way, besides using carbon all the time is not benaficial unless you are trying to get rid of water discoloration, after medicating, and unwanted smells and odor. you can buy it by the carton or bottle and use it as you need it.keeping it in your tank for to long and it can release the toxins it absorbed back in the tank. a better choice is zeolite. zeolite is great for absorbing ammonia and it can be reused by recharging it( soak the zeolite overnight in saltywater) every week or two. it will recharge to about 80% of its original capacity. you can tell because it will look white again, rinse and reuse. hope this also helps. thanks for reading and asking.

Carbon may release things back, but that is long term. If you neglect a canister and only open it up every six months then maybe, otherwise that is not really a concern.

Back
Top Bottom