Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hob filter media

Does anybody use filter floss or similar media in your hob filter? If so can you post a pic of your rig please?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #2

I use it in canisters because they are sealed and will force the watrr through. In an open HOB it will clog very quickly and then the water will just flow around it.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
I use it in canisters because they are sealed and will force the watrr through. In an open HOB it will clog very quickly and then the water will just flow around it.
That's what I figured. No good without a frame and for all of that work... might as well buy the cartridges. I have a Eheim Ecco 2236 on my 55 gal... just thinking about using an hob I have also.
Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #4

Use the HOB, best place to store it is running on a tank, I just wouldn't use floss.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Totally. As soon as I recover from my latest spending spree I'll get some cartridges lol
Old 02-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
Use the HOB, best place to store it is running on a tank, I just wouldn't use floss.
Got the cartridges and I'm super glad I did. The Aqueon pumps A LOT of water. Would you recommend rinsing and re-using the cartridges? The floss material seems pretty sturdy.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #7

the aqueon blue frame can hold polyfiber and or blue filter pad cut to size if you dont wanna buy disposable cartiges. just rinse em off and keeping em clean is FAR cheaper than buying something you will throw away.i make filter fibers on all mine except my aquaclears cuz they are pretty good the way they are. makes u think.. that extra money i save could get me a new t5 h.o. or my first canister filter. dont do this if you are lazy or rich...
Old 03-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle
the aqueon blue frame can hold polyfiber and or blue filter pad cut to size if you dont wanna buy disposable cartiges. just rinse em off and keeping em clean is FAR cheaper than buying something you will throw away.i make filter fibers on all mine except my aquaclears cuz they are pretty good the way they are. makes u think.. that extra money i save could get me a new t5 h.o. or my first canister filter. dont do this if you are lazy or rich...
Do you separate the frame and put it back together with new material? I'm definitely going to rinse and reuse but is also be interested in using the frame with new fiber.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #9

separate theframe? it should look like a C shape that wraps around the backside of the filter fiber,right? toss the white fiber and carbon. cut blue filter pad a little oversized and place it in the frame and re enter it in the filter. i stuff poly fiber in em also, instead of the blue filter pad. just use your imagination and start getting creative, you wont be wasting money on that stuff anymore.dont rinse the blue parts, they act as the biological medias.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogle
separate theframe? it should look like a C shape with that wrapsaround the backside of the filter fiber,right? toss the white fiber and carbon. cut blue filter pad a little oversized and place it in the frame and re enter it in the filter. i stuff poly fiber in em also, instead of the blue filter pad. just use your imagination and start getting creative, you wont be wasting money on that stuff anymore.dontrinse the blue partes, they act as the biological medias.
Good advice. Thanks!

Tags
filter, filter media, hob, hob filter, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com