Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Talking HOB Filter Media

I'm about to start customizing the media in my HOB filters (Tetra Whisper 60 media is horrible, and I plan to customize the Aqueon filter media as well). Using pink pond media for mechanical filtration. Matrix to help with the bio filtration, and carbon for the chemical filtration. Does anyone have experience with the ion exchange resin media? I'm looking for something that is good on ammonia. I basically have 3-4 filter chambers with space for bags holding carbon or matrix or whatever. Looking to assign those 4 spaces. 45 gal tank with too many juvie africans mbunas.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Diggler View Post
I'm about to start customizing the media in my HOB filters (Tetra Whisper 60 media is horrible, and I plan to customize the Aqueon filter media as well). Using pink pond media for mechanical filtration. Matrix to help with the bio filtration, and carbon for the chemical filtration. Does anyone have experience with the ion exchange resin media? I'm looking for something that is good on ammonia. I basically have 3-4 filter chambers with space for bags holding carbon or matrix or whatever. Looking to assign those 4 spaces. 45 gal tank with too many juvie africans mbunas.
For ammonia you shouldn't need anything other than clean water and frequent changes and use Seachem prime water conditioner. But if you really want to use something API makes zeolite which comes in pouches for canister filters that u could use if filters big enough and aquaclear makes ammonia remover pouches thy come in diff sizes u can use too like this. Never noticed much diff when I used either.
http://m.petco.com/product/107995/Ha...r-Inserts.aspx

Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post
For ammonia you shouldn't need anything other than clean water and frequent changes and use Seachem prime water conditioner. But if you really want to use something API makes zeolite which comes in pouches for canister filters that u could use if filters big enough and aquaclear makes ammonia remover pouches thy come in diff sizes u can use too like this. Never noticed much diff when I used either.
Pet Supplies - Pet Products - Pet Food | Petco.com
Thank you. I'm trying to make the aquarium as maintenance free as I can before I return to the 'stan.

Tags
filter, filter media, hob, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com