HOB Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirt Diggler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to start customizing the media in my HOB filters (Tetra Whisper 60 media is horrible, and I plan to customize the Aqueon filter media as well). Using pink pond media for mechanical filtration. Matrix to help with the bio filtration, and carbon for the chemical filtration. Does anyone have experience with the ion exchange resin media? I'm looking for something that is good on ammonia. I basically have 3-4 filter chambers with space for bags holding carbon or matrix or whatever. Looking to assign those 4 spaces. 45 gal tank with too many juvie africans mbunas.

I'm about to start customizing the media in my HOB filters (Tetra Whisper 60 media is horrible, and I plan to customize the Aqueon filter media as well). Using pink pond media for mechanical filtration. Matrix to help with the bio filtration, and carbon for the chemical filtration. Does anyone have experience with the ion exchange resin media? I'm looking for something that is good on ammonia. I basically have 3-4 filter chambers with space for bags holding carbon or matrix or whatever. Looking to assign those 4 spaces. 45 gal tank with too many juvie africans mbunas.

For ammonia you shouldn't need anything other than clean water and frequent changes and use Seachem prime water conditioner. But if you really want to use something API makes zeolite which comes in pouches for canister filters that u could use if filters big enough and aquaclear makes ammonia remover pouches thy come in diff sizes u can use too like this. Never noticed much diff when I used either.
http://m.petco.com/product/107995/Hagen-AquaClear-Ammonia-Remover-Filter-Inserts.aspx

For ammonia you shouldn't need anything other than clean water and frequent changes and use Seachem prime water conditioner. But if you really want to use something API makes zeolite which comes in pouches for canister filters that u could use if filters big enough and aquaclear makes ammonia remover pouches thy come in diff sizes u can use too like this. Never noticed much diff when I used either.
Pet Supplies - Pet Products - Pet Food | Petco.com

Thank you. I'm trying to make the aquarium as maintenance free as I can before I return to the 'stan.

Back
Top Bottom