Holding!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I strip mine at 20 days. I tried at 14-17 but still had the yolk sac. I pull the females at least a week after holding. Because a spooked mother with spit or eat eggs. And after a week not eating she's a lot calmed and less energy and normally the first time mothers will most likely not hold the first time.

But when can I strip for eggs? Right away? I have a tumbler made and would like to try it since she's unlikely to hold this batch anyways.

You can strip anytime, if you have a tumbler. But next time let her do the work.
From experience they normally don't hold longer then a week. So about 7-8 days you can strip, also sometimes a first time female will hold unfertilized eggs.
From what I was told and read.
Babies do better when mom takes care of them at least up to a week of her spitting them out, and learn how to care for their own babies from learning from mom. Hope this helps. I have 1 I stripped at 20 days full babies and now 3 females holding for about a week letting them hold 20 days to. Some breeders strip so mom can have a longer recovery time. They hold for 3-4 weeks without any food.

I don't have a second tank and if she spits in my main tank I doubt any fry would make it. I have convicts and there babies get eaten the day they're free swimming, and there parents are mean and there's two of them.

I bought a small nursery/breeder box at the pet store. Kept my female in it till she was ready. BTW: The small holes are not small enough fish will get sucked through and eaten. What I did was got tights/pantie hose and cut it big enough to fit the breeding/nursery box and just kept them In there. With dry eras market put on glass of tank the date to keep track. Of what's what. Till you can get a 10gallon tank. (Look on Craigslist.) till the fry are big enough to add into tank. Normally once they start to show color. Do this for your convict mom as well. Or add more hiding spots suck as small rocks stacked large enough for a baby to find, fit, and hide.

But small enough to keep larger fish out.

Best to do it I. Corners of tank and high

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some baby brine shrimp. Well brine shrimp eggs, I'm gonna try my hand at raising them.

I got a filter for my 30 gallon, and a stand, and will be setting it up tomorrow with the filter from my 40 gallon, and 3/4 of the water from my 40 gallon. Hopefully it'll be cycled ASAP. It'll just be mom for now, and then frys soon.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395937572.839356.jpg
Here's the starts to my fry/mamma tank. Don't mind it looks really dirty. I used water from the old tank, rinsed one side of my filter in it, and I'm going to add more water from my other tank, and then with the other aide of the filter I'm going to put it in my 30 gallon filter. How does the set up look? (Is the fake plant ugly, I can't tell if it looks good.... Or not)

I don't know if anyone is still following this or not. But I moved momma into her tank. I was going to wait, but since she has been hiding and I noticed her out away from the rocks I took my chance and caught her. She was pretty mad at me at first, she stayed hiding in the new tank and wouldn't come out for me, but now she is sooooo good. She doesn't hide at all in the new tank. And as far as I can tell she's still holding (I was scared she was gonna swallow them). She's moving her jaw a lot more so I'm hoping there wrigglers now :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396644900.731201.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396644957.145425.jpg

Fryyyy!

I've counted 18, that I can see that aren't hiding :) yaaaay!

Back
Top Bottom