holding bumblebee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

convict78

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just noticed one of my bumblebees is holding eggs in its mouth.i would like to get the fry when they hatch to raise them in another tank.i have read in the past about making the fish spit out the babies.i was wondering if anyone had any tips?

Grab a few cups of substrate from the tank they're currently in... if your tap is significantly off from your tank parameters, you may want to use a 50/50 mix of tank water and tap water... Remember that the fry are living in the big tank water right now, so any big swing in parameters could be bad. Good luck with everything :)

Grab a few cups of substrate from the tank they're currently in... if your tap is significantly off from your tank parameters, you may want to use a 50/50 mix of tank water and tap water... Remember that the fry are living in the big tank water right now, so any big swing in parameters could be bad. Good luck with everything :)
i know ph is a big deal,the fry tank i have now has platy fry in it and i dont think they would survive crushed coral.i have play sand in there now.and i cant get another tank my wife would kill me i already have one in every room.i really wanna try to raise them though so i figured short term i could keep them with the platy fry

When we stripped the fry from our firemouths (I know this is a bit different) we used tubing to drain them gently into their grow out tank. Kind of like when you're doing a drip acclimation except the babies were sucked right out of the main tank and deposited into the grow out. This way they got the tank water they were hatched in. Just thinking it might be an option if she releases the fry in the big tank, since they stay huddled, you can move them that way.

When we stripped the fry from our firemouths (I know this is a bit different) we used tubing to drain them gently into their grow out tank. Kind of like when you're doing a drip acclimation except the babies were sucked right out of the main tank and deposited into the grow out. This way they got the tank water they were hatched in. Just thinking it might be an option if she releases the fry in the big tank, since they stay huddled, you can move them that way.
i dont think they will last long if she releases them i have other large cichlids in the same tank.they wouldnt last very long at all

I always let nature take her course unless I know who the parents are. I don't want any hybrids in my mbuna tank if possible. Hybrids pose possible health, behavior and eating issues.

just got them out

got them out of her mouth,amazing how they cam pouring out! they have very large yoke sacs right now

Keep them scrupulously clean while they have the sacs. The membranes are thin and prone to infection. Also, now's the best time to cull any you don't want.

ok thx

Keep them scrupulously clean while they have the sacs. The membranes are thin and prone to infection. Also, now's the best time to cull any you don't want.
kinda small to tell which ones i dont want.i think i pulled them out alittle early but the mother bumblebee was acting real weak so i figured it was a good time

Back
Top Bottom