Holding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erickC.

Aquarium Advice Regular
My demasoni looks like its holding. Not eating, looks like its chewing gum all day, and is starting to show a little bulge under its jaw. It is a mixed African tank. I don't know for sure which fish is male and which is female. I'm afraid to vent them cause I don't want to hurt them. I know egg spots aren't sure fire but its the what I am going by. My question is she is the only dem in the tank. Is there a chance another breed could knock her up (fertilize) her eggs?

Hmm...Could she have been holding when you got her? Breeds do cross sometimes. More like labs and zebras where the fish are similar. I wouldnt say its impossible at all though. If they are hybrid fish you should let her spit in the tank. Hybrid fish are widley debated. IMHO they aren't something I would keep. Now if she is holding demasoni fry that would be awesome!

I've had her for 2mo there was another dem in there for about 3 weeks and since has entered the witness protection program because I cant find it. Is that too long for it to have been bought holding?

Yeah...I think so. I would let it play out. I had 2 Dems holding last week now I have no Dems holding. The first time holding does not usually yield fry. If she holds for 3 weeks we can deal with it then. When did you notice her stop eating and having a buccal cavity?

Noticed it yesterday. These fish are savages and know when a feeding is coming. When I fed them I didnt notice my dem. I thought it might have died so I freaked out and started looking for it. It was was hiding in a corner behind some plants. I dropped a little more food in the corner to make sure it got some and it made no attempt to eat it. Same thing today

I would say it looks a little swollen...the other thing is that it used to show off a lot now it really doesnt puff out its fins.

Holding or not she died. Went a week w/o eating but still looked strong. Saw her this morning and she didnt look good. On my way home i bought a breeder box to qt her and it was too late. Took all my rocks out to find her and she was dead. This blows

Thats it. And I lost my other Dem with similar symptoms 3 weeks ago. I didnt get too see the other one much by the time I got to it the others had pecked the **** out of it. Is this something that only hits Dems or are all my fish in danger? How do I avoid it?

If I were you I would start treating with seachem metro. And make a medicated food paste with NLS and metro..Keep your water perfect...Bloat is horrid...Lots of good info on bloat on here and online. Keeping lights off as much as possible lowers stress also.

My bumblebee male always tries to mate with my ice blue females. He managed to get it done once but the female swallowed the eggs a day later.

Back
Top Bottom