Hole in the head disease ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshwater fish guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can a Oscar get it from feeding it live food I feed him 1 rosy red every other weekend is that to much or can I feed him more

Freshwater fish guy said:
Can a Oscar get it from feeding it live food I feed him 1 rosy red every other weekend is that to much or can I feed him more

There are couple of known and possible causes of head and lateral line erosion (HLLE), but feeding live food alone isn't one of them. The most common cause is bad water quality (specifically high nitrate exposure). With that being said, you put fish at risk of disease when you feed them live fish from an uncontrolled source. I'd recommend sticking with grasshoppers of you want to do live food.

Unless you have a breeding pair of rosy red for the last number of months, I wouldn't feed your oscar feeder fish.

You can get the same results from feeding earthworms, crickets, mealworms, without having to worry about parasites or diseases from store bought fish.

Back
Top Bottom