Honduran Red Points in a 37

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khazmachi

Aquarium Advice Activist
My girlfriend wanted a tank at her place and I bought a 37 on craigslist for her. Her and her roommate came home from the LFS with 6 tiger barbs and 2 rainbow sharks. I feel that one rainbow in a 37 is a bad idea, and 2 won't work for sure. The LFS has some small Honduran Red Points, and I'd love to trade those sharks in for a pair of them. The guy at the LFS basically told me they were a variant of the convict, but what I have since read online about them is that they are much mellower, and smaller.
Is a 37 gallon big enough for a pair? Its a kinda small footprint, just 30 inches. If so could I add a school a tetras as well?
Thanks

Khazmachi said:
My girlfriend wanted a tank at her place and I bought a 37 on craigslist for her. Her and her roommate came home from the LFS with 6 tiger barbs and 2 rainbow sharks. I feel that one rainbow in a 37 is a bad idea, and 2 won't work for sure. The LFS has some small Honduran Red Points, and I'd love to trade those sharks in for a pair of them. The guy at the LFS basically told me they were a variant of the convict, but what I have since read online about them is that they are much mellower, and smaller.
Is a 37 gallon big enough for a pair? Its a kinda small footprint, just 30 inches. If so could I add a school a tetras as well?
Thanks

I haven't owned them personally, but I've heard secondhand from owners the same thing; that they are more colorful and mellow than convicts.

I think a pair in a 37g is a reasonable idea with a school of tetras. Is that a bowfront?

I haven't owned them personally, but I've heard secondhand from owners the same thing; that they are more colorful and mellow than convicts.

I think a pair in a 37g is a reasonable idea with a school of tetras. Is that a bowfront?

No its just a 37 tall. 30 long x12 wide x around 22 deep. I have some river rock, driftwood, and fake plants in there now. I want to try some anubias or java fern attached to some more driftwood if the Honduran Red Points won't try to eat it.

It should work in that size tank. I havnt owned these myself either but I have a couple friends who have them in roughly the same size tank.

Operation "fish swap" is complete! Honduran Red Points are now floating. I'll post better pics once they are settled in.

ForumRunner_20130809_131324.jpg

Pretty certain this is a male. The other was my best guess at a female, but will still pretty small so not sure at all.

Back
Top Bottom