Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hope this makes sense...

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But does a African Cichlid tank need current? By that I mean more then say 1 penguin 350, 1 AC 110 and a 5" air stone which I have currently in my 55g BF. I'm upgrading this weekend to my long awaited 75 gallon, so was just wondering if what I have now will be enough.

Your thoughts?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think so. I bet the current from the filter is enough, but they probably dont need one at all. I have read that sense they live in lakes it is not necessary to have a current in the tank, but some fish like to swim against it for fun.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I dont think so. I bet the current from the filter is enough, but they probably dont need one at all. I have read that sense they live in lakes it is not necessary to have a current in the tank, but some fish like to swim against it for fun.
Ok... Makes sense. Didn't think of that. They are from a lake and. It much current there. Thanks for your input.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yea forsure! Thats exciting that your getting a 75! Wanna convert your 55 to reef??
Would love to!! I'm lucky the wife gave in and I got away with a 75 and really nice stand! I'm start a thread soon to keep everyone updated on progress. Just waiting for some items to arrive and I have to move some furniture around. Should look good in the spot we picked.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like making caves for my fish, and you could build a whole mountain of caves in that size tank
Old 11-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I like making caves for my fish, and you could build a whole mountain of caves in that size tank
Yeah looking into doing something like that. I bought the 15 pack of those Cichlid stone caves and have so many rocks and pieces of slate. I also have a ton of driftwood. I think I'm gonna do more rocks and caves with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of my driftwood and some low laying fake plants.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha i really like it!! But get real plants they are way easier then people think
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Haha i really like it!! But get real plants they are way easier then people think
Will my Africans tear them up? I'd LOVE to do some small live plants. I'm using gravel though... Reason being I have so much extra. I have like 50lbs plus what's in my 55.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

Will my Africans tear them up? I'd LOVE to do some small live plants. I'm using gravel though... Reason being I have so much extra. I have like 50lbs plus what's in my 55.
Live plants don't stand a chance against African cichlids
Maybe anubias will have a chance but I think that's about it
Old 11-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEYtheFISH

Live plants don't stand a chance against African cichlids
Maybe anubias will have a chance but I think that's about it
Thanks. That's kinda what I thought.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com