Hope this makes sense...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. But does a African Cichlid tank need current? By that I mean more then say 1 penguin 350, 1 AC 110 and a 5" air stone which I have currently in my 55g BF. I'm upgrading this weekend to my long awaited 75 gallon, so was just wondering if what I have now will be enough.

Your thoughts?

I dont think so. I bet the current from the filter is enough, but they probably dont need one at all. I have read that sense they live in lakes it is not necessary to have a current in the tank, but some fish like to swim against it for fun.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I dont think so. I bet the current from the filter is enough, but they probably dont need one at all. I have read that sense they live in lakes it is not necessary to have a current in the tank, but some fish like to swim against it for fun.

Ok... Makes sense. Didn't think of that. They are from a lake and. It much current there. Thanks for your input.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yea forsure! Thats exciting that your getting a 75! Wanna convert your 55 to reef?? ;)

Would love to!! I'm lucky the wife gave in and I got away with a 75 and really nice stand! I'm start a thread soon to keep everyone updated on progress. Just waiting for some items to arrive and I have to move some furniture around. Should look good in the spot we picked.

I like making caves for my fish, and you could build a whole mountain of caves in that size tank ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nu-Nu the eel said:
I like making caves for my fish, and you could build a whole mountain of caves in that size tank ;)

Yeah looking into doing something like that. I bought the 15 pack of those Cichlid stone caves and have so many rocks and pieces of slate. I also have a ton of driftwood. I think I'm gonna do more rocks and caves with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of my driftwood and some low laying fake plants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha i really like it!! But get real plants ;) they are way easier then people think

Will my Africans tear them up? I'd LOVE to do some small live plants. I'm using gravel though... Reason being I have so much extra. I have like 50lbs plus what's in my 55.

Convict2161 said:
Will my Africans tear them up? I'd LOVE to do some small live plants. I'm using gravel though... Reason being I have so much extra. I have like 50lbs plus what's in my 55.

Live plants don't stand a chance against African cichlids
Maybe anubias will have a chance but I think that's about it

OBEYtheFISH said:
Live plants don't stand a chance against African cichlids
Maybe anubias will have a chance but I think that's about it

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought.

Convict2161 said:
Yeah looking into doing something like that. I bought the 15 pack of those Cichlid stone caves and have so many rocks and pieces of slate. I also have a ton of driftwood. I think I'm gonna do more rocks and caves with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of my driftwood and some low laying fake plants.

Mind sharing where you got them? I've been looking for something like that myself.

jasadell said:
Mind sharing where you got them? I've been looking for something like that myself.

Amazon. I got the bulk 10 pack ( they are all large and medium, the small ones are not worth it imo) for $60

Convict2161 said:
Ok.... Can you educate me? :(

I'm unaware.

Well gravel is inert (so is sand) and doesn't contain any nutrients (like dirt or Eco-complete or what ever) other than mulm (fish poop) so adding root tabs under plants, especially heavy root feeders like swords, helps them get the nutrients they need to grow.

Mumma.of.two said:
Well gravel is inert (so is sand) and doesn't contain any nutrients (like dirt or Eco-complete or what ever) other than mulm (fish poop) so adding root tabs under plants, especially heavy root feeders like swords, helps them get the nutrients they need to grow.

Thank you! And where do I get these?

Back
Top Bottom