How Bad is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
So- I have a 20 gallon tank that I just cycled. Went to LfS with the fam. My Hubby wanted Cichlids. Clearly- 20 gallon tank not big enough. However, they are babies. only about an inch to 2 inches ea. We left with 5. :( Dont get me wrong...They are awesome! I just need opinion on how bad or temporaraly ok this situation is with 5 baby cichlids in a 20 gallon tank.
Also- an upgrade is in our near future especially with these guys.. what size tank is acceptable as they mature?
1 kennyi
1 african lamp congoenisis
1 tiawan reef
1 yellow lab
1 jewel.
:facepalm:

A 55 or 75 g tank will be best for them if u want to keep more African Cichlids.

missie said:
So- I have a 20 gallon tank that I just cycled. Went to LfS with the fam. My Hubby wanted Cichlids. Clearly- 20 gallon tank not big enough. However, they are babies. only about an inch to 2 inches ea. We left with 5. :( Dont get me wrong...They are awesome! I just need opinion on how bad or temporaraly ok this situation is with 5 baby cichlids in a 20 gallon tank.
Also- an upgrade is in our near future especially with these guys.. what size tank is acceptable as they mature?
1 kennyi
1 african lamp congoenisis
1 tiawan reef
1 yellow lab
1 jewel.
:facepalm:

Unfortunately your stocking will prob not work, even with an upgrade. The African lamp I believe is from West africa and requires different needs than the lake Malawi. The jewel I believe is a west Africa cichlid too, and is carnivorous. The taiwan reef are more of a schooling fish and like to be housed in groups, not sure of ratio. The yellow lab will need a ratio of 1 male to 4 females and are from lake Malawi. They are pretty mild mannered at least mine are. The kenyi are also lake Malawi. The males turn a yellow orange during sexual maturity. Both the kenyi and labs will require a minimum of 4 foot tank. And a stocking of 1:4f.

Unfortunately your stocking will prob not work, even with an upgrade. The African lamp I believe is from West africa and requires different needs than the lake Malawi. The jewel I believe is a west Africa cichlid too, and is carnivorous. The taiwan reef are more of a schooling fish and like to be housed in groups, not sure of ratio. The yellow lab will need a ratio of 1 male to 4 females and are from lake Malawi. They are pretty mild mannered at least mine are. The kenyi are also lake Malawi. The males turn a yellow orange during sexual maturity. Both the kenyi and labs will require a minimum of 4 foot tank. And a stocking of 1:4f.

what is your recommendation then? I know very little about cichlids. I never have owned them. **** lfs! they said they were all compatiable! a few of these were in the same tank!!!!

Yes LFS are actually to blame for alot of beginner mistakes, due to limited knowledge of many employees. The mom n pop stores are a better find IMO. I live mine. The lab and kenyi are compatible. They are both from the same lake. I have them in my tank and they add nice color. I guess the first thing you need to decide is what you will be able to provide. Research is key here. Some little fish you see and fall in love with may reach a foot and not be able to have tank-mates. What size rank will you be able to provide? Lots of filtration is key also. In a 55 malawi, I'd suggest a ratio of 1m:4 f of the ele yellow, the kenyi and maybe OB zebra ( orange and black splotches) tho can be aggressive , I've been fortunate. I'm sure others will have more suggestions. I'm not to familiar with the jewels or other west Africa, as I only have malaiwi and Victoria cichlids ( and my son has convicts and we also have a puffer)

Would these babies be aggressive toward eachoher even though they are so tiny? they seem to all be "almost" schooling. then seperating to different parts of the tank. we wanted to get a 75 gallon or larger.

please anyone..school me.! Im doing lots or reasearch but its hard to sift through

ps. i have a 50 galloon marineland biowheel... that should be ok for these guys for a bit right??

A pair if Kribensis would work in a 20g Long. They like the bottom to middle and you could have, if you wanted, some schooling tetras on top...

Missie - I think for now your 20 gallon should be fine but I wouldn't put anymore fish in there. Also your filter
Sound sufficient for a 20 g tank as well, I have a marine land penquin bio wheel filter on my 55 gallon and love it! I think it works great! Of course mine is for a tank up to 75 g. Definitely in a couple months or so
You will want to probably get at least 55 g or larger.

Back
Top Bottom