How Big Of a Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tetradude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've only kept community fish for the last while, but i think i might buy a new tank and put cichlids in it. how large must the tank be to put say, a bloodred parrot cichlid in?

tetradude said:
I've only kept community fish for the last while, but i think i might buy a new tank and put cichlids in it. how large must the tank be to put say, a bloodred parrot cichlid in?

Not big in cichlids but I heard fifty five gallon tanks are somewhat small as far a cichlids tanks go... Maybe someone else will have more details on your specific fis though
Hope I helped

A 55g is always a good starting point for cichlids. You will find yourself limited quickly in the diversity you can handle with a 55g due to it being on the smaller side.

I have seen a few cool tanks with breeding groups of yellow labs in 55g. Its truly up to you though and I'm sure a couple blood red parrot fish would look nice in a 55g

55 is your best start, but a 75-125 would be best if you can afford it. The tank isn't the most important part to cichlids, it's the filtration and habitat. Do some good searching on your tank lay out and what fish you want. As for the filter(s), I always suggest a wet/dry sump capable of 1.5x the tanks max. For instance my 55g tank has a filter rated for 100g tank. Good filtration is key in your fishes health :)

thanks alot everyone, i really apprieciate it, are all cichlids fairly large or are there some that are small?

There are many cichlids 4" or under (more than over), that can be housed in a 55, or even smaller tank. Tank size should be the main consideration, not filtration. You have to have sufficient filtration, regardless of tank size, but even the best filtration, will not negate the need for water changes, which is determined by bioload.

when you say smaller than a 55 gallon, how many gallons do you need?

There are various cichlids that are small that don't get much larger than a few inches. Like shell dwellers or you can do killi's as well. As for my previous comment, yes filtration is a BIG factor when keeping any cichlids. You can crowd a tank which many don't like but it can work and have good filtration and have a successful tank. I guess bottom line is what do you want for fish? You can do a 29g with a few species but it is recommended to start with a 55 for most fish in general. Either way, good luck and happy fish keeping

If you want to keep a group of blood parrots for many years, then you're better off getting a bigger tank than 55g.

Good filtration is important, but the most important aspect of fish keeping are the weekly water change. At least 50% of water change is recommended for cichlids.

You could keep a trio in a 75 comfortably and 2 in a 55 but if you want like 4 or 5 best to get 100+ gallon tanks

you should do a 55 with a group of yellow labs and a group of jewels,IMO the red and yellow would look cool

Back
Top Bottom