how do I raise pH safely for my cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought kent cichlid buffer, but I am thinking about returning it. I want to get my pH up to 8.2 as naturally as possible. My plan as of now is to use crushed coral to raise it a bit and use the cichlid buffer to raise it the rest of the way. Does anyone have a better idea or advice to make this easier thanks.

iceywater101 said:
I bought kent cichlid buffer, but I am thinking about returning it. I want to get my pH up to 8.2 as naturally as possible. My plan as of now is to use crushed coral to raise it a bit and use the cichlid buffer to raise it the rest of the way. Does anyone have a better idea or advice to make this easier thanks.
Crushed coral would work, also you could add a couple of pieces of limestone or dolomite...

JDogg said it all.
Maybe try a site search on "cichlid buffers"
I effectivly use limestone rocks and crushed coral amongst white sand substrate which buffers my water perfectly to 8.2.
Wouldn't bother with the additive. There was a post in the last few days about this exact subject.
What cichlids do you have?

Matthew

You could also pay me to mail you my tap water with is already 8.0 due to the limestone bed rock...

Thanks for everyones help. I ll give the limestone a try, I knew about the crushed coral but I have never heard of the limestone. Where would be a good place to get limestone that is safe for the fish?

I'd gladly send you my water, natural pH of 8.2 and hard as rock. Just ship me yours in return.

Crushed coral will raise the pH to a level of 7.8. I am unsure about the level for limestone but I believe it will raise it to the lower 8s. You can buy it at the lfs (expensive!) or at a garden store. Just make sure it is in fact limestone. Boil it before putting it in the tank.

I start with ro water, and use 1 tsp of Instant Ocean, 1 tsp of Epsom salts, and 1 tsp of "Proper pH 8.2" per 5 gallons of water. I started with the recipe from here, and changed some of the ingredients over time.

Back
Top Bottom