Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you do feeding time with cichlids?

Just curious how you all handle feeding time. How long does your feeding last? Regarding your equipment, do you shut down powerheads and turn down filters or do you just leave everything on and toss in the food ?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For me they all swim to the same corner since I've had them. I watch from above and throw in whatever I'm feeding that day. I switch from different foods. Like someone once told me here how would you feel of you has pizza everyday.

Anyway... I just throw the food in an watch how much there eating and make sure everyone is eating. A sign of healthy fish is there always gonna look hungry. If some are away from the huddle I'll throw in some food on the opposite side. Then I'll throw a few sinking pellets for the bottom dwellers. And it's a done deal. Since the heat wave and temps are higher thus making my tank temp a little higher I feed less and 2x's a day. The higher temps means there more active and tend to be more aggressive.

Hope this helps and have a safe and happy 4th!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I feed omega one cichlid pellets and tetra veggie spirulina flakes every night and make sure everyone gets some, my syno will even eat off the top with the mbuna!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
5x5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

The Powerhead is my best friend during feeding. I drop the food near and it gets so well dispersed that everyone gets to eat.

Turning off the filters depends on the tank and strength of the intake. I do for my 65 with a very strong wet/dry system, but I don't for my 180 gallon with the fluval fx5.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...d+society.html
5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x5
The Powerhead is my best friend during feeding. I drop the food near and it gets so well dispersed that everyone gets to eat.

Turning off the filters depends on the tank and strength of the intake. I do for my 65 with a very strong wet/dry system, but I don't for my 180 gallon with the fluval fx5.
That's a good idea. Rarely do my fish let the pellets sink below the waters surface though hah.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

In my 50 & 56 food just gets dropped in from 5x a day to 3 times a week. Their is little reason to it, pretty much whenever someone feeds them. (5x a day hardly happens) the baby tank gets fed almost always 2 day.) I let the fliter pull the food down as with 15 fish they don't always go to the top still. They all get brine shrimp, chicken, and omega one cichlid food (pellet and or flake depending on size) as well as omega one super veggie and red/green/romain lettuce, shredded carrot, banana, crickets, earthworms, whatever I feel like. Sometimes im tempted to give them cookies.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well basically, I walk up to the tank.

Just kidding. But really, if I do so much as get up from my sofa or walk even remotely close to the tank, there they are. "Is it time? Can we have a bite?" Some days they get Omega One, some days spiralina, some days pellets. Some days peas, they really like veggies so I enjoy feeding them stuff from the fridge. Just whatever I feel like! Its tempting to overfeed when they crowd like that, I occasionally give in.
It gets kind of annoying how they crowd sometimes, because I want to see them do what they do. Dig, chase, whatever. But, I can't even glance at them without a crowd at the front of the tank watching my every move.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With my mbuna's and tropheus' I introduce the food via my HOB filter outflow's (the food is further broadcasted by powerheads) then turn off the filters until all the food is gone.

For my frontosa's I turn off the filtration and then add their pellets. Filters off=feeding time so they start getting worked up as soon as the filters stop (because they know the food is coming next).

My frontosa's are very skittish at feeding time for some reason. So I don't turn on the filters of any of my other tanks until the front's are done eating.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, feeding, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com