how do you make baby Bolivian Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My boyfriend recently noticed that one of my rams, Napoleon, might actually be a little girl, and we later noticed that she and the biggest of the males, Bernard, were never far from each other. Haven't observed any reddening around Napoleon's abdomen but Bernard has definitely become more aggressive toward the other fish, even picking on the gourami or tetras when they get too close. So, a bunch of questions that have come up recently:

1. Other than water pH, temp, and feeding (more protein), is there anything I can try to encourage these two?

2. I remember reading somewhere that they like to lay eggs on a flat surface, would a big rock work or is a clay pot better?

3. If I add something to the tank, I'm planning on putting it in a corner where most of the fish don't go as everybody typically stays by the sandbox, but is it possible to encourage the rams to lay their eggs there, or will they find it if it meets their needs?

4. My tank is a bit of a jungle right now, plants everywhere, and other than a cantankerous BN pleco all the fish are passive and peaceful - 2 dwarf gourami, 6 black skirt tetras, 7 cory cats & 1 platy. If I put sponges over the filter intakes (2 HOBs), will the fry be okay in this tank or should I move them and the parents over to a QT? I have a 10gal or could put the fry by themselves in a 1 gal with a gravel filter.

In addition to this stuff, anything else I should know about?

Thanks for your help!

You can't make the babies but I'm sure the Bolivians can help you with that.

1. Give them a varied diet and make sure they are happy with their environment. They like live plants to surround them so that they feel more at home and secure.

2. A piece of slate will work fine.

3. Once they spot out their territory, that will be there spot. If you aquascape the territory into an ideal spot, then that would be good. It's hard to determine this though.

4. It is best to have their own tank if you want the fry to survive. The corys will definitely much on the eggs at night.

Back
Top Bottom