How do you sex yellow labs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toddster180

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone all my yellow labs are about 2 inches just wondering how do you tell the difference between male and female , some pics would be nice if anyone has any ! Cheers

Just bought a female lab carrying eggs or fry in mouth , shall I put her in a Brude cage and let her spit them naturally ? Or let her spit them in tank I have other haps and pracocks and some mbuna in there so abit scared they will be eaten

Or let her spit them in tank I have other haps and pracocks and some mbuna in there so abit scared they will be eaten

The odds are high that that will happen if she releases her brood in the main display tank. Still a lucky few may be able to beat the odds.

Would the female be ok in a net cage until she spits fry out ?

Hi guys sorry to be a pain , would this tank be suitable for bringing up fry for my yellow lab as she is holding , it's a hood filter type so would gravel above the intake be ok to prevent the fry from being sucked up ? The tank is made by pond solutions , and is 20 litres would that be big enough to grow the fry up to a inch so I can sell them on ? As am very interested in breeding them

Attachments

• image-2224186205.jpg
    image-2224186205.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 64
I'd have to say no imo it would probably be ok if you strip the fry from the mother then moving them to like a 20 gallon. But you would be better off having a ten gallon then moving them to a 20 as they get bigger while waiting to be sold.

Toddster180 said:
Would the female be ok in a net cage until she spits fry out ?

a lot of people use breeder boxs that hang in the main tank

Last edited:
Males are more vibrant yellow and have black outlines on the dorsal and anal fins females only have a streak on the dorsal fin and their belly are lighter typically white. Males also have white spots on their tail known as egg spots. Females are also larger than males. But males are nicer looking.

PolyptRus said:
Males are more vibrant yellow and have black outlines on the dorsal and anal fins females only have a streak on the dorsal fin and their belly are lighter typically white. Males also have white spots on their tail known as egg spots. Females are also larger than males. But males are nicer looking.

That's not totally true in the wild the egg spots are not there. My yellow female lab has the black your talking about and egg spots.

Last edited:
What is the best filter for a fry tank ? And need many ornaments ?

Toddster180 said:
What is the best filter for a fry tank ? And need many ornaments ?

I always use sponge filters with an air pump.

Back
Top Bottom