Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How Does My Stock List Look?

Hello All,

I recently set up a 75g all male peacock/hap tank and am needing any advice, suggestions, or warnings with my planned stock list.

CURRENT STOCK (common names)

1. OB Hybrid Peacock
2. Firefish
3. Red Empress
4. Benga Sunshine
5. Taiwan Reef
6. Eureka Red Jake
7. Regal Blue (Was sold to me as a Ngara Flametail, but I'm pretty sure he's a Regal Blue. Will post pics for confirmation when I get one).

HERE IS WHAT I AM LOOKING TO ADD (fish will be ordered from Butch at Southeast Cichlids, all in one order).

8. Red Top Lwanda
9. Lemon Jake
10. Flavescent
11. Bi-Color 500
12. Ngara Flametail
13. Deep Water Hap
14. Electric Blue Iceberg (Sciaenochromis Fryeri Iceberg)
15. Z Rock / Sulfur Head Hap (Otopharynx Lithobates)
16. Otopharynx Tetrastigma

3-4 Synodontis Lucipinnis or another Syno species if I can't find Lucipinnis. I was leaning towards Lucipinnis because they stay relatively small compared to the other Syno species. Any suggestions?

So what do you guys think of my stock list, good, bad?

I originally planned to stock this tank with 20 cichlids, but ultimately decided against this number for fear of space issues. Do you think there are too many species of similar color? Any potential issues?

BTW, this tank is running an Aquatop CF500UV and a Aquaclear 110 HOB. I also have a Aqueon Quietflow30 just laying around so I will probably end up throwing this HOB on there as well. Can never have too much filtration!

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Peacocks/haps aren't my forte so I'll only comment of the syno. If you want a smaller species, petricola is gonna be a good one. Technically, luccipinnis is the "dwarf petricola". Petricola get up to 4" but are mostly smaller than that

Old 06-06-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Peacocks/haps aren't my forte so I'll only comment of the syno. If you want a smaller species, petricola is gonna be a good one. Technically, luccipinnis is the "dwarf petricola". Petricola get up to 4" but are mostly smaller than that
Thanks for the info! I will def look into them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-06-2014, 03:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks pretty good, I think flavescent and ngara flaimetail are the same fish though. That might be a few too many fish. Especially with some larger haps, but not too bad. You also are looking at getting some fish that look very similar. It will be hard to get everyone to color up, and you could have some brutal fights between fish that look similar.

I would try to add all Juveniles of about the same size. If you added all adults it would be a blood bath.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrilah fish View Post
Looks pretty good, I think flavescent and ngara flaimetail are the same fish though. That might be a few too many fish. Especially with some larger haps, but not too bad. You also are looking at getting some fish that look very similar. It will be hard to get everyone to color up, and you could have some brutal fights between fish that look similar.

I would try to add all Juveniles of about the same size. If you added all adults it would be a blood bath.
Hey squirrilah, thanks for your advice. I will look into the Ngara and Flavescent being the same fish. I would love to add all juvies, but I'm not sure that I would be guaranteed all males if I went this route.

As far as similar looking fish are concerned, can you point out any specific fish you feel I should eliminate from my list?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's hard to really predict. Like most of them have blue faces. Lemon jake, and Benga look a lot alike.

I don't want to tell you not to add certain fish, because the could all be fine, but just something to be aware of.

As your picking stock out, try to pick ones that the look the least like ones you already have.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea I see what you mean. Guess I will have to do a bit more thinking here. I do have an empty 36g bowfront I was thinking of setting up as a "timeout" tank for any potential bullies haha.

Any words of advice for me? Maybe you've found a particular species to be more aggressive?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_Cichlid View Post
Yea I see what you mean. Guess I will have to do a bit more thinking here. I do have an empty 36g bowfront I was thinking of setting up as a "timeout" tank for any potential bullies haha.

Any words of advice for me? Maybe you've found a particular species to be more aggressive?

Looking at your stock list. They are all pretty balanced as far as I know. And having a "timeout" tank is the perfect plan. I have one for my all male tank as well. Using at as quarantine tank at first is a good idea too. Not only to keep from getting diseases. But to allow the fish to distress and get used to your water, so when he joins the group he will be more able to fight off bullies, and hide.
You might have one or two fish that are just too aggressive, and it's best to rehome them. There will be fights for dominance, that is to be expected. It's usually when you have a super aggressive number 1. Also after you have remove the aggressive #1, the #2 that takes his place can be even worse.

Doing an all male tank can be a pain, and it takes a while to get the right balance. Don't get attached to anyone.
This article is really good.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ale_malawi.php
Old 06-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for all your help. I REALLY appreciate it. I'm sure I will experience the pains of having to rehome some fish, but here's to hopeing for the best. I will def be referring to you for some knowledge in the future. If you don't mind of course.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wouldn't be here if I did. I'm in the process of my own male tank. I actually have a lot of those fish. So we can figure it out together.

Here's what I'm working with
http://youtu.be/qJ5-9DhsAX4

Tags
stock, stock list

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com