How fast are frontosa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedDevil83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I see very fast short bursts of speed and I looked on Google but nothing came up.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't have an exact number, but i would say "fast".

They are a predator, as far as i know they aren't ambush predators (I'm not sure, i don't know much about Africans) which means that they have to swim after prey.

The average top swimming speed of Marlin, one of the fastest fish in the world, is about 50mph, but they can do short bursts even faster.

I would guess that for short amounts of time, a lot of fish can go 30mph. That would be my guess as to the top speed of the Frontosa in short bursts...

Again, a guesstimate. Cant really back it up.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Yeah I noticed that they can dart faster than the electric yellows in my tank and it's like a blink of an eye fast. But for the most part they all hover together around the middle of the tank.

As above in short burst they are very fast.Certainly fast enough to take a fish small enough to fit in their mouth.This I have witnessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mine range from 2 inch to 2"1/4 ish , they grow slowwwwww.

They great are pretty slow and sedentary fish. They can have short burst of speed.
And yes they are a predator but in the wild they generally stay at the bottom so they wait until night time till all the other fish move down to the bottom of the lake for cover and then they pick the fish off especially the babies so they therefore don't have to be super fast.

They great are pretty slow and sedentary fish. They can have short burst of speed.
And yes they are a predator but in the wild they generally stay at the bottom so they wait until night time till all the other fish move down to the bottom of the lake for cover and then they pick the fish off especially the babies so they therefore don't have to be super fast.

Yeah they are always on the bottom to middle of the tank, very mellow. I like the majestic feel and atmosphere they project in the tank :)

They may wait to ambush, but if they move slow they give the fish enough time to notice and flee.

They aren't fast overall. But nearly all fish can move like lightning in a short burst.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I would say short bursts as well. They aren't built like an open water predators, so they likely rely on cover to quickly ambush prey

Seems like only the bigger males go to the top for the pellets that haven't sank yet. But makes sense that they hover in and around the same spots.

Make sure you have fast sinking pellets some people pre-soak pellets. Frontosa develop bloat very easily you don't want them getting used to feeding off the surface.

Make sure you have fast sinking pellets some people pre-soak pellets. Frontosa develop bloat very easily you don't want them getting used to feeding off the surface.

They are nls sinking pellets but not all sink...

Back
Top Bottom