How long can an angel be alone before...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long can an angel be alone before it starts acting aggressive to a newly added angel? I have an angel in QT at the moment because the other angel I had (who is also heading straight back to the fish store today) was beating up on him. They just got a brand new shipment of angels in, and I've picked out the one I want, but they are going to hold it for me because I want to make sure it is healthy. Now, I've heard angels get aggressive after being on their own for a while. Will a few days be too much? Or am I being overly concerned? Oh, and the angels are smaller than a silver dollar coin.

PS- the reason the angel is in QT is because I want to prevent any secondary infections...just so you know :wink:

In my experience, it has less to do with how long they've been alone, and more to do with their personalities (fishalities?) and breeding temperament. I wouldn't worry about it as a major factor. Getting rid of the aggressive angel is probably a good idea. If there are more than two in the tank, they can be aggressive for many reasons, not necessarily the fault of the fish. If they are aggressive when there are only one or two of them, then they're just mean.

Just get a new one and put them together. Good luck!

its always better for them to grow up together. If you are puting in another angel be sure they are they same size that way they can stand up to eachother. Maybe add some other fish like guppies to spread out the bullying from just one fish.

cool, thanks guys. Oh, and the angel I want to add is the exact size as the one I already have. Both are still young and growing :D

They younger they are the better they don't really start being agressive untill they are of spawning age. I had an angle that lived for 4 years and he was mean as all get out. He only like girl angels LOL. He had a piece of slate that was his territory he kept it clean of algea and chased off even the pleco. That piece of slate was his breeding ground so he defended it even if there were not babies on it.

lol, very cute. Well hopefully I'll get another even tempered angel and I'll give them each a peice of slate to guard :D (and if they end up a breeding pair, the all the better! My LFS has already said they'd buy babies from me...either angels or rams).

Get the other one fish that grow up together usually tolerate each other better with the exception of M. Aurutus.

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom