Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
elephantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,657
How long will it take for Bolivian cichlids to get their color back after being negle

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397880627.375790.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	233901 How long will it take for Bolivian cichlids to get their color back after being neglects in a store to being bought an put into a new aquarium?
__________________

__________________
It's like gardening except under water and instead if bees there are fish
elephantnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 111
try feeding them color enhancing food. no way to tell how long it will take. also possible that they won't regain their color.
__________________

__________________
cmw9787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
elephantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,657
That would suck if they never regained their color. Right now they kind of blend in with my gravel. I picked this type for their color.
__________________
It's like gardening except under water and instead if bees there are fish
elephantnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw9787 View Post
try feeding them color enhancing food. no way to tell how long it will take. also possible that they won't regain their color.

Nothing should ever be fed color enhancing foods IMO... If you use a natural &, excellent food like; New Life Spectrum pellets or Omega One freshwater flakes (non cooler enhancing form) they will color up just as well but naturally! Frozen Foods will also help them and make them really happy so there's no need for those added additives!
But if it's a good tank, you give them proper care and food, proper parameters and tank mates, etc.... You should start to see a difference in color within a week!
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Khuligirl93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,945
How long will it take for Bolivian cichlids to get their color back after bei...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Nothing should ever be fed color enhancing foods IMO... If you use a natural &, excellent food like; New Life Spectrum pellets or Omega One freshwater flakes (non cooler enhancing form) they will color up just as well but naturally! Frozen Foods will also help them and make them really happy so there's no need for those added additives!
But if it's a good tank, you give them proper care and food, proper parameters and tank mates, etc.... You should start to see a difference in color within a week!

I agree... Don't feed those foods that use chemicals to "enhance" fish's colors. Feed them good quality food with lots of variety. I like to alternate every other day with omega one flakes and one of my frozen foods (bloodworms, brine shrimp, glass worms, and daphnia). Bloodworms especially get their colors bright and they love them, but don't feed it to them every day. It'd be like us eating steak every day! On days I feed frozen food I also feed cooked de-shelled peas too.
Clean water is probably even MORE important than food though when it comes to health and bright colors (healthy happy fish= colorful fish). Make sure your tank is cycled, and you do your weekly water changes and gravel vacuuming.
It's perfectly normal for fish to be stressed after you first bring them home because they're still adjusting to their new tank and tankmates. But if you do these things, they should be back to their normal colors within a couple days.
I'm not sure how colorful Bolivian rams actually get though. All the ones I've seen that hobbyist own are about the same as yours. The only super colorful ones I've seen were on google images, and you never know if the picture was photoshopped or if the fish was fed hormones to enhance color. German blue rams tend to be a more colorful ram species, but are more delicate.
__________________
20 gallon high-tech planted
Khuligirl93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
elephantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuligirl93 View Post
I agree... Don't feed those foods that use chemicals to "enhance" fish's colors. Feed them good quality food with lots of variety. I like to alternate every other day with omega one flakes and one of my frozen foods (bloodworms, brine shrimp, glass worms, and daphnia). Bloodworms especially get their colors bright and they love them, but don't feed it to them every day. It'd be like us eating steak every day! On days I feed frozen food I also feed cooked de-shelled peas too.
Clean water is probably even MORE important than food though when it comes to health and bright colors (healthy happy fish= colorful fish). Make sure your tank is cycled, and you do your weekly water changes and gravel vacuuming.
It's perfectly normal for fish to be stressed after you first bring them home because they're still adjusting to their new tank and tankmates. But if you do these things, they should be back to their normal colors within a couple days.
I'm not sure how colorful Bolivian rams actually get though. All the ones I've seen that hobbyist own are about the same as yours. The only super colorful ones I've seen were on google images, and you never know if the picture was photoshopped or if the fish was fed hormones to enhance color. German blue rams tend to be a more colorful ram species, but are more delicate.

I wanted GBR but I couldn't find them I went to 3 different pet stores.
__________________
It's like gardening except under water and instead if bees there are fish
elephantnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
elephantnose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,657
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397914339.341467.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	233962 they ready seem to have a little more red on their tails.
__________________
It's like gardening except under water and instead if bees there are fish
elephantnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichir Bro View Post
Nothing should ever be fed color enhancing foods IMO... If you use a natural &, excellent food like; New Life Spectrum pellets or Omega One freshwater flakes (non cooler enhancing form) they will color up just as well but naturally! Frozen Foods will also help them and make them really happy so there's no need for those added additives!
But if it's a good tank, you give them proper care and food, proper parameters and tank mates, etc.... You should start to see a difference in color within a week!

You do realize that even NLS offers a color enhancing formula, right? It's to bring out the reds in fish......
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bichir Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
You do realize that even NLS offers a color enhancing formula, right? It's to bring out the reds in fish......

Yes....Omega One also puts out a color enhancing flake! I'm just saying use the non-color enhancing formula!
__________________
Bichir Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
Not all brands use dyes to boost colors. Many animals gain their color from what the eat in the wild. A perfect example is salmon. Farm raised fish will have a completely different colored flesh than their wild counterparts, due to the diet differences. Farms are not able to properly simulate their natural diet and so they lose that nice red/orange color
__________________

__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bolivian, cichlid, cichlids, color, ich, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long does it take a lemon Jake to color up? Jakepen Cichlid Discussion 1 08-14-2013 09:48 PM
Back to marines, and back to being broke! Sparky83 Member Introductions 9 02-21-2013 11:40 AM
how long for live rock to take color pairenoid Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 9 10-17-2012 11:59 PM
Who do goldfish lose their color and can they get it back? Musket Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 10-11-2006 09:01 AM
How long does it take for color to leak out of driftwood? exactionfigure Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 12 12-24-2005 07:09 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.